Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing Ansco 130

Storing Ansco 130

I've got all the chemicals to mix this up. Apparently the glycin has a limited shelf life. Mix stock and store it in bottles? How long does it keep? I've seen some statements on line suggesting people often store it diluted 1:1 as for a working solution. Thanks.

Drew Wiley

Re: Storing Ansco 130

It's a fairly stable developer per se when in full glass bottles, undiluted. But as glycin oxidizes it eventually undergoes a color shift and increases its staining properties. This happens even in dry powder state. I keep unopened bottles of new glycin powder in the freezer, which seems to arrest this. The powder is a nearly-white pale tan color when fresh, and as it oxidizes, goes to a deep tan, then to a mocha brown, and finally to brown-black. It's still usable, but might stain the paper itself to an objectionable degree. Otherwise, up until the mocha phase, you can fine tune highlight staining somewhat by how the glycin has aged. For colder tones, it should be relatively fresh. I open only 100g at a time, and try to use that amount of powder up within six months or so. I really wouldn't pre-mix a large quantity, or pre-dilute it. What would that accomplish that you can't do immediately before the work session? Having a full mixed bottle (undiluted) around a few weeks shouldn't be a significant issue. Other people might have a somewhat different opinion, but you do have to keep in mind that the condition of glycin powder to begin with varies unless one times their purchase carefully. Apparently Photog Formula turns over their inventory often enough that their supply is kept fresh. Incidentally, I use it 1:3. Most papers develop rather fast at this dilution.

I'll store a working solution of this developer in brown glass bottles for a few days, if I'm planning additional printing sessions. Then, it gets tossed. Never tried to store a mixed stock solution or working solution for any real length of time. Glycin powder is kept in the freezer and I've never had it go bad on me.

I have been lazy with mine. Stock mix has been stored in an arizona green tea 1 gallon plastic container for just over a year in my garage, currently about 1/3rd full. It darkened a little but is still working. But I would recommend a brown glass bottle(s) if you can find them. Note: working solutions usually go bad after being stored for a couple of months, but I have had some last 6 months in full bottles. I have found I can dilute it 1:3 and not lose that richness it brings when fresh, but tone does shift warmer with age beyond 6 months.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Thanks for your answers.

I keep my fresh glycin powder frozen for years without any problem. I take out some when I need it and back to freezer.

multiplex

Kevin:

Mixed Stock Ansco 130 will stay useable for over a year. Open tray about 30 days. I've developed film and prints in Ansco130 that was well over a year old and the film and prints looked fine.
    YMMV
    John

Drew Wiley

I would strongly disagree with John's comments above. Will work? Possibly, so-so, at best; but how consistently? I can't conceive of an open tray more than a single day's session. The performance exhausts and drifts. Why on earth would anyone do that? Yeah, you might be able to swallow milk that's been left out a few days, but it sure won't smell nice.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I would strongly disagree with John's comments above. Will work? Possibly, so-so, at best; but how consistently? I can't conceive of an open tray more than a single day's session. The performance exhausts and drifts. Why on earth would anyone do that? Yeah, you might be able to swallow milk that's been left out a few days, but it sure won't smell nice.
    Drew: Many people have published their experienced with Ansco 130. Not so-so but works about as good as fresh. Perhaps rather than suggesting without experience something doesn't work you should use Ansco 130 and see how it works yourself ?

YMMV
    John

ps. YMMV means what works for me might not work for you ..

Drew Wiley

I've been using 130 with numerous papers for decades, though not exclusively. Used it today. "About" as good as fresh might be able to give you the density you want with some tweaking, but can unquestionably affect the intended nuances of toning and other subtle characteristics that I personally find important and have put a lot of work into to fine-tune. 130 rewards nuanced control. Otherwise, we'd all be going back to Dektol. If I've going to spend money on ingredients like glycin, I want to get the most out of it.