Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Use of Tripods on NYC street

Re: Use of Tripods on NYC street

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    the security guard at Rock center told me that I can not set up the tripods on the sidewalk next to the Rock center.
    So did you ask him why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Conrad View Post
    So did you ask him why not?
    He said that side of the sidewalk is Rock center’s property.

He said that side of the sidewalk is Rock center’s property.
    Somebody in City government ought to be able to answer this, or at the very least confirm or deny that it’s possible. I’d trust a typical security guard as far as I could throw him. Depending on the mood I was in—and how big he was—I might ask “Says who?” But there sometimes are strange situations, and if you really don’t know the answer, you’ve got to ask yourself one question ...

wow, lots of good stories. A couple of weeks ago I was wandering around in the city, where I saw the heavily guarded Saks 5th ave store. I took this photo with my Chamonix Saber. When I came back with my tripods and wider lens set up, the security guard at Rock center told me that I can not set up the tripods on the sidewalk next to the Rock center.
    Attachment 205168
    You should have told him Nelson Rockefeller is your grandfather.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Tell him you just bought the place and want pictures!!! ;-)

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I’ve heard of people staring quizzically at a security guard and saying something like “You really don’t know who I am, do you?” Sometimes it actually works. One advantage is that there is no false personation. Never tried it myself ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Conrad View Post
    I’ve heard of people staring quizzically at a security guard and saying something like “You really don’t know who I am, do you?” Sometimes it actually works. One advantage is that there is no false personation. Never tried it myself ...
    Could very well be...

Another thing that worked (by accident) was getting stopped while driving around the back of LAX once, that I was pulled over by a motorcycle cop over a taillight out... The cop takes off his helmet, and I looked stunned and amazed at him 'cuz he looked like a double to another guy I knew... He saw me looking strangely at him, maybe thinking I recognized him from school or something, and he got very nervous and spattered out "get your taillight fixed, and quickly jumped on his bike and took off...

Thought maybe I can use that routine someday??? ;-)

Steve K

I haven't seen it mentioned here yet - back when I lived in NYC in 2007 you could simply get a "film & photography permit" from the Mayors office. It's the same the big movie productions use but everyone could get one for no fee. I got these very official looking letters on several occasions, i.e. when setting up a tripod in front of the Metropolitian Museum, Lincoln Center or during the night. I was stopped by security guards or cops all the time but after showing my permit everything was fine and people were generally friendly and supportive - they are just doing their jobs.

I was told by a security guard of Rockefeller center that the sidewalk is part of Rock center's property, no tripods are allowed. Is that true?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk

Downtown Chicago Spring 2001 Chicago Film Office Permits were $25. I secured three 3-day weekends, which allowed me to post NO PARKING signs, evidently no time limits!

The City gave me large no parking signs, which I still have and a permit without a year date

I also was granted towing privages IF I hired an off duty CPD officer, which was a reasonable cost

But I didn't hire any as I got to location well before the zone was opened for weekend parking so didn't need towing or an officer as I simply blocked the the entire block with my Airstream, trucks, cars and put up signs

I was conducting video interviews about Student Loans from Graduating Grad students...How Will You Pay?

Everybody wants to get in an AirStream
    Tin Can