Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Use of Tripods on NYC street

Use of Tripods on NYC street

I have been taking some photos in the past a few weeks, when the street is quite empty. At a few places I was told that I can not set up tripod on the property, like in front of Vessel in Hudson yards, which I understand. I tried to set up tripod this morning on the sidewalk of 5th Ave between 49th and 50th. I was told by a security guard of Rockefeller center that the sidewalk is part of Rock center's property, no tripods are allowed. Is that true?

Re: Use of Tripods on NYC street

More than likely, I had the same problem in Chicago
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    More than likely, I had the same problem in Chicago
    The guard told me to set up tripod across the avenue (on the east side of the avenue), which is public. I don't know how to determine which sidewalk is public, which is private.

You need NYC advice

I got my shot later when I was faster
    Tin Can

Sometimes there is a plaque in the pavement or on the building stating that it is private property.

I was involved in a large format class in Chicago a few years ago. We were set up on a LaSalle St. sidewalk to take pictures of an old 'El' station that was visible across an empty parking lot. A pleasant fellow in tactical togs and a shotgun told us we couldn't shoot across the parking lot. Turned out the parking lot belonged to the Chicago Federal Reserve. He said we could refuse to move but then he'd call the CPD and it probably wouldn't be resolved in our favor. We moved.

Steve's rule is "Shoot before they throw you out"...

Do research, plan your shoot, and shoot your plan...

Steve K

Can you take a 4 legged slide projector table and use that? With four legs it is not a tripod. ;-)
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Tilden View Post
    I was involved in a large format class in Chicago a few years ago. We were set up on a LaSalle St. sidewalk to take pictures of an old 'El' station that was visible across an empty parking lot. A pleasant fellow in tactical togs and a shotgun told us we couldn't shoot across the parking lot. Turned out the parking lot belonged to the Chicago Federal Reserve. He said we could refuse to move but then he'd call the CPD and it probably wouldn't be resolved in our favor. We moved.
    That's absurd. You should have said "oh we aren't taking pictures, just trying to distract security!"

Rules for City property are given by the Rules of the City of New York, Title 43, §§ 9.01–9.03. It’s hardly a stellar example of legal drafting, but it was far worse before it was revised following widespread outcry when it was first proposed in 2006. I haven’t been to NYC in many years, so I don’t know how it works in practice.