Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recommendations on 8x10 one/tele lenses.

recommendations on 8x10 one/tele lenses.

Hi all,

I've been enjoying my current collection of 150, 300, and 450mm lenses but at this point im looking for something longer. I know of the coveted fuji 600 and a nikon 800T that doesn't sport a lot of movement. i want to know if anyone here knows of any better options for a longer lens that isn't too much of a pain in the field. I believe my maximum bellows extension is 600mm which isn't too bad but it's still a limitation. Thanks in advance!

Re: recommendations on 8x10 one/tele lenses.

The easily found protar triple convertibles could give you the equivalent of a 585mm lens using the 23" single element. If you compensate for focus shift it can produce quite decent negatives. Putting the single lens on the front of the shutter would give you enough bellows.

Foamer

How much do you want to spend? Can you live without a shutter? At 600mm lenses begin to get pretty heavy--can your camera support that?

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Fujinon T 600 will not cover 8x10. With 600mm bellows extension, your options are limited to tele lenses of 600 and 800mm. As far as I know, just Nikkor T ED 600/9 and 800/12 and Schneider Apo Tele Xenar 600/9 and 800/12. In both cases, Schneider and Nikkor, the front lens cell is the same for both focal lengths, and the rear cell is interchangeable, providing 600, 800, and only in Nikkor case 1200mm, but your camera will not admit 1200mm because you just have 600mm bellows extension.

The Fujinon C 600mm on an extended lens board might fit your need for bellows? The Apo artar can be found in Copal #3.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

If your max bellows extension is 600mm, you're limited to tele design view camera lenses. IMO, the 600mm Fujinon is over rated and due to this mythical desirability, it's market $ is more than it should be.

Other limitation will be tele design lens must be in a shutter unless special exceptions are applied.

The other least often considered factor is camera support and camera stability with 600mm of bellows racked-out. One and project about optical performance of different lenses with no real end, unless that camera with support is absolutely Rock of Gibraltar stable, optical performance is essentially irrelevant.

Best of the tele design LF lenses are the last version Schneider APO Tele Xenar, most common would be the Nikkor ED tele with interchangeable rear elements. The 600mm tele Fujinon does not cover 8x10 properly. If camera and shutter limitations are not an issue there is a LONG list of APO process lenses that out perform the
    ED glass Tele Nikkor at significantly lower cost.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by jesse1996 View Post
    Hi all,

I've been enjoying my current collection of 150, 300, and 450mm lenses but at this point im looking for something longer. I know of the coveted fuji 600 and a nikon 800T that doesn't sport a lot of movement. i want to know if anyone here knows of any better options for a longer lens that isn't too much of a pain in the field. I believe my maximum bellows extension is 600mm which isn't too bad but it's still a limitation. Thanks in advance!

After much deliberation, acquired a 600mm f/11.5 S KangRinpoche for my 11x14. I love it, and that's on my 11x14. On my 8x10, it should provide me with as much movement(s) that I can ever imagine using. Mine off eBay from a Dealer in Japan. He rated it "93% EXC Very good condition with some signs of use". Honestly inspected it very closely when I received it, and it was in Like New condition. For a Fujifilm Fujinon C 600mm F/11.5 Lens in similar condition, I would have had to pay two to three times what I paid for the KangRinpoche.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse1996 View Post
    Hi all,

On movements...

The Nikkor T 800mm, since it is a replaceable rear element design (600, 800, 1200), actually functions in the same way as a teleconverter does for 35mm cameras. So you're actually getting slower by just under one stop, more reach by 1.33x, and a larger image circle by 1.33x. Nikon only gives specs, though, based on the shortest focal length, but image circle is increased by by the optical design. I use the 800mm on 11x14 as an easier way to get more reach without dealing with the extreme bellows draw that very long lenses require for ULF. That's really pushing it for the format, but it works.

Uh oh MAubrey, you're going to get all the spec-sheet-experts in a tizzy with that statement!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Drew Wiley

I'd also recommend a Fuji 600C (or its clone) on a modest "tophat" extension board. It would still be lighter and less cumbersome than a tele with a big enough image circle for 8x10. But have you factored in front and rear base tilts into your max bellows extension?