Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jobo Expert Sheet Drum OR Mod54 Large Format Film Processor?

Re: Jobo Expert Sheet Drum OR Mod54 Large Format Film Processor?

I've never used an expert drum; I use the 25xx drum & reel for 4x5. When I started out with 4x5 I got a Mod54 and used it for a while. It worked OK, but loading it was a bit of a trick and I sometimes had issues with sheets coming loose from the holder when agitating. More importantly, the holder had the tendency of creating surge marks on the edges of the film (well into the image area) with some developers, e.g. pyrocat. The 25xx Jobo drum and 2509N reel work perfectly and are in my opinion a little easier to load as well.

I have moved from MOD54s to Jobo 3010 Expert Drums.

I use a Jobo CPP with the lift mechanism to drive the 3010s.

It is a much more expensive initial set-up with the CPP + 3010 - but the results are fabulous.

Also, the processing is really low intensity - all you have to do is to sit back and watch the timings.

I found the MOD54 OK - but only OK

I have had the occasionally the following problems :-
    • odd none-uniform developed negative (stripe across the film in line with one of the film holder fingers)
    • scratched film back scratching (I have the original laser cut MOD54 film holders)
    • an occasional sheet of film that either completely escapes from the film holder if the sheet is on the outside or escapes and snuggles up to the next sheet outwards - which gives blotchy film development to the masked sheet of film

I was always mindful of not agitating the Paterson Tank/MOD54 Film Holder carefully - as the sheets of film have a large sail area and if you were to be too vigorous, it was quite easy to dislodge a sheet of film from the Film Holder.

So, if you can afford it - I'd recommend you go with the Jobo set up with the Expert Tanks.

I'm never using any of my MOD54 film holders ever again.

Martin

+1 for Jobo And Expert Drums. For sheet film this is the relaxing way to go. I only do tray developing with film over 8x10.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Trying the B's with Patterson tank and inversion for 4x5. Previously my best results were dip and dunk using the combi film holder and some yankee tanks in the dark (see the home page for that method). The B's reel is likely better for the shared darkroom I am in now.