Thread: ARTIFACT on my negative - what kind of light leak is this?

Question ARTIFACT on my negative - what kind of light leak is this?

Hello all -
    Recently encountered a light leak, and I can't figure out how it happened. Any ideas? It's HP5, 4x5, in a previously tried and true film holder. I'm wondering, maybe the dark cloth got caught in the spring back so there wasn't a solid seal?

ThanksClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Lightleak C_D_002.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	204569

Re: ARTIFACT on my negative - what kind of light leak is this?

Film holder might have lifted a bit when pulling the darkslide. Dark cloth catching would have messed up the focus.

They are call people -- they happen every once in awhile.

Because of the sharp line caused by the fogging, I think it happened as you were removing or inserting the darkslide -- you might have accidentally pulled towards yourself as you were pulling/pushing the darkslide, causing light to sneak in.

We can more accurately determine errors and other strange happenings if you show us the entire negative. If your rebate around the image is perfectly clear, that indicates the fogging occurred while the film was in the holder -- if the rebate is fogged, then generally the fogging occurred when the film was not in the film holder.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Years ago had the same fogging problem with an old wooden 8x10 back that had weak springs. Removing the dark slide no problem, but when inserting the dark slide, the back opening up a slight bit was a common happening. Solved by replacing the springs.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Years ago had the same fogging problem with an old wooden 8x10 back that had weak springs. Removing the dark slide no problem, but when inserting the dark slide, the back opening up a slight bit was a common happening. Solved by replacing the springs.
    I have some weak springs on the 110 yr old 5x7 I use. I am in the habit of using one hand to hold the back tight against the camera body, and then the other hand to remove/replace the darkslide. I also re-bent and did a little hammering to strengthen the springs some.

And if possible I remove/replace darkslides with the darkcloth over the camera -- awkward with 11x14...especially verticals.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Wiping the dark slide(s) off with an anti-static dryer sheet can make them slide in and out much easier and less likely to cause this.

Nose grease is a great lubricant for dark slides. Just rub your nose with thumb and forefinger, then rub them along edge of dark slide.
    Try it before you scoff.

Excellent advice! What a wealth of experience. No, the rebate edges were not fogged, so it clearly happened when the holder was in the camera. I'm usually fastidious about keeping the dark cloth over the rear standard when taking the slide out and in. I'll lubricate my dark slides!

Thanks again

Earl Nash