Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with developing results good and bad

Re: Help with developing results good and bad

According to the docs, 1+14 at 7 minutes 30 seconds is correct for Delta Pro 100, so that shouldn't be the issue, since you're using the right temperature as well. Lucky you-- I live in Florida, and getting the chemicals *down* to 20C is a challenge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200612_144558.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	204622

attached now two of the negatives showing the good and failure. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Borris63 View Post
    Hello
    I am very careful and methodical, it seems a chemical issue but why would I be able to achieve good results in one process.
    Chemical reactions take place uniformly everywhere if the reactor contents remain in motion. So why should it be the process?

The images in question seem overexposed. Is the bellows tight? Is the shutter okay? Is the film holder ok?

The images in question seem rough. Is there reticulation? Were the other pictures developed in the same tank? Then this seems unlikely. - Were the negatives correctly positioned in the film holder? With the layer facing the opening, i.e. the lens?

Where did the film come from? Did you open the package yourself or was someone else on it? Maybe someone is pulling your leg...

The bad neg looks like it had massive over-exposure...is it possible the lens was left open from focusing?

Yes, massive overexposure indeed. By the extent of +8 stops or more I'd wager. An open lens is indeed a possibility. It's too severe even for the "whoops forgot to stop down" thing I'm sure we all have had happen once or twice...

But also edge fogging on the over exposure negative

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    Yes, massive overexposure indeed. By the extent of +8 stops or more I'd wager. An open lens is indeed a possibility. It's too severe even for the "whoops forgot to stop down" thing I'm sure we all have had happen once or twice...
    I agree with the massive overexposure. Looking at the photo of the 2 men sitting at the table I would say the exposure is probably 5 seconds or more. The subject on the right has moved so much that he doesn't have a head. You can see right thru him and see the barbeque pit behind him. The subject on the left has moved some but not as much because you can see some of the rail starting to appear in his head. This happens when the subject moves so much it doesn't leave a latent image on the film.

The two not so good images are exposure problems. I suggest with an empty holder set up a routine of exposing film and practice, practice, practice. Then, with film in a holder, go thru the routine and make the exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    But also edge fogging on the over exposure negative
    That's probably just halation or light piping.

Quote Originally Posted by Borris63 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200612_144558.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	204622

attached now two of the negatives showing the good and failure. Thank you
    Thank you for showing the negatives.

The one in front looks to be exposed OK but maybe a little under exposed and over developed compared to a textbook negative for a 'fine print.' May need 1 paper to print well and a some burn in the sky. Otherwise very good for someone just starting out.

The one in back, as mentioned, could be severe over exposure. Like leaving the shutter open by mistake.

HelloClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200614_174729.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	204687

Thank you to you all for taking the time to reply and help me, I thing I may have come to where the errors maybe. I took 4no test shots today using my usual Ilford Delta 100 and developed at 7mins 30 for the Ilford 3, made fresh batch of fixer (Ilford 1 to 4), agitated for 10 secs every minute.

The images were all of the same shot at the same time at 1/125 and f/11. All 4no have come out ok and developed ok. See attached.

That seems to suggest the error is not with my developing but out in the field. I thought I was very precise and methodical but I must be a making errors with the loading of the film holder and/or the removal of the cover slide. It won't be to do with my metering, I am not that far out maybe 1stop either side. But I think the issue also might be to do with the shutter cable, I don't think I was pressing the cable trigger with conviction enough and maybe there has been a lag.

It has though with all your help focused my mind and procedure and maybe corrected my errors. Good to know its not the developing side or my Tank

Once again Thank you to you all.