Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with developing results good and bad

Help with developing results good and bad

Hello

I would be very grateful if anybody could help me with the following issue I am having.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong, I am developing 5x4 sheets, most come out really good but I am also getting a number of really bad ones. Only started developing myself these last three months and I use the Stearman-SP-445. I maybe wrong but I don't think the fault is at exposure, I am very careful and methodical, it seems a chemical issue but why would I be able to achieve good results in one process.

Attached are 4no images all taken on one day and processed at the same time. I have also tried different film holders and it makes no difference.

I only started doing my own film photography for the last 18 months, maybe I am doing something wrong in my whole process?

Many Thanks:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TOY.20.46.jpg   TOY.20.44.jpg   TOY.20.45.jpg   TOY.20.47.jpg  

Re: Help with developing results good and bad

Maybe you could describe the problem you think you have? And post an unmanipulated image of the negatives in question which include the rebate? That would help us a lot in trying to diagnose your problem.

Doremus

The images with the house and gate and the people at the table both look like they were printed on expired or fogged paper or snatched from the developer too soon. I usually keep the prints face down and process for a fixed time to avoid that.

As already posted, more information on your process would help.

Thank you for your replies,

The Image are not printed, I develop and scan as follows:

1. I load 4no negatives in a Stearman SP-445 tank in a developing bag
    2. I use Ilford 3 at a ratio of (1+14) Ilford stop bath (1+19) and ilford fixer (1+4)
    3. Pre -wash at 20 degrees (all chemicals at 20 degrees)
    4. Develop at 7:30m SB 1:00, Fixer 5:00 and final wash for around 7:00
    5. I Scan the negatives in an Epson V600. The scanner I know is not for 5x4 but I bought a 5x4 negative holder and scan the neg in two positions and stitch together in affinity photo.

I have attached 4no images, showing the uncropped edge, the scanner though will only let me show the image if the frame without the edge. I made a screen shot instead. I also took one positive screenshot to show. I can see that this is very overexposed due to being completely dark but this would not account for the quality of the final foggy and unclear scan.

I am only wondering if the 2no negative holders in the stearman Press, the 2no negatives loaded that would face each other is the issue. Negs facing towards the outer edge of the tank there is more room and onew facing inwards is very tight. Could the chemicals not be circulating over those properly. Although cant see anybody anyway posting problems they have had with the stearman

Thank you for you help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sample_03.jpg   Sample_04.jpg   Sample_01.jpg   Sample_02.jpg  

Sorry I have not really explained well at the beginning. Because I am developing 4no images at the same time, I am trying to find out why I am only getting 2no image developed good and 2no not. Is it me making an error at exposure or in developing. Or is it a fault with the camera, or the Stearman Tank.

The previous image with the house and gate was F11 at 1/125 and the one with the small house was f6 at 1/60. Both taken on a sunny day within 5 minutes of each other, so I am confused if it would be my exposures. My thinking it is with developing but again why are two coming out ok.

This is by the way a regular occurrence

Thank you

I believe members are looking to help answer your questions however there are variables at play and you may want to look at eliminating them systematically. I would suggest tray developing test shots to see if that improves the situation. Looking at your processing regime I would remove the pre-wash and go right to the developer and see what happens. It does appear to be in the processing and for the members to see a jpg (not a scan) of the negative might give better replies, and include the rebate (edges of the negative). The top 4 images it appears No.1 and No. 4 did not receive enough agitation and No.2 and 3 received more. Are the bad ones always from the same position in the tank, that may be a big indicator. You just started developing your own film in last 3 months and without meaning to insult you and hopefully many here would agree I will add processing must be done exactly the same all the time to get consistent results, good or bad, then you make changes to correct. Suggest you take 4 shots of the same thing, same exposure, see what happens.

You don't mention which film you're using, or what speed you exposed it for, but you mention that you're using Ilfosol in the 1+14 ratio. There aren't many film combinations that match up to 7.5 minutes. Delta 100, FP4+, and TMax 400 shot at 200 are the only ones I saw.

You should be loading the negatives into the SP445 holders so they face out (notches in top right as you face the holder), but I would think you'd see the bar pattern on the negative if it was the film holder(s) causing the issue.

Having said all of that, I'm using Ilfosol 3 and the SP-445 tank, and the only time I've seen a result like yours was a severely overexposed photo as a result of a technical problem-- I was using a Copal Press shutter for the first time in the field, and connected the shutter release cable to the preview port, instead of the shutter release port. So instead of tripping the shutter at 1/125, I was opening the shutter wide-open for the time it took to press and release the button, resulting in something like 1/2 second at f/5.6.

Surprisingly, the negative came out usable, but very grainy, and portions were blurry, and the negative itself is extremely dark, like yours.

I'd check your shutter and procedure for accuracy first. A quick and dirty way to test the shutter speed is by recording the audio from the shutter in a program like Audacity (free) and measuring the time between opening and closing clicks.

I think your problem has to do with the use of the developing tank.
    I suggest you try developing 2 negatives of the same image together. Both facing the same direction, one in outside slot, the other in an inner slot.
    Be sure there is ample developer.
    My second choice would be as has been suggested - try tray development.
    I have always had students tray develop first and have never suggested any type of tank.

Please post a photograph of the negatives. Not scans. Actual photos (smartphone snapshot is OK).

Thank you all for your replies which all very helpful. The film I use is only Ilford Delta Pro 100 and I believe the mix ratio is either 1+9 or 1+14 with the time adjustment accordingly.

Unfortunately I cannot make a proper darkroom so can only use the dark bag and the SP445 tank. I do make sure that the negatives are top right but as suggested I need to be more methodical, I will take two shots of the same image and place one negative inwards and one outwards (I have not identified its always inwards or outwards that I have the same problem) if they come out ok, then I will do 4no shots of the same image, place in the 2no holders and see what happens from there.

The Shutter point may be valid also, I have a Schneider 14 142 880 on my Toyo Camera. When I check, although its very crude but pressing the lens manual shutter is instant, did not cross my mind but the shutter release I attach, I could be slowly pressing sometimes which has definite lag to the lens closing. I think I will an take image in bright sunshine (if we can find in the UK) so I can get to 1/125 or 1/250 and use the manual shutter not the release one.

I will take some pics from my phone of the negatives. Don't get me wrong guys I am absolutely love 5x4 (have two and two twins lens) and happy with how things are going, have taken over 200 shots in the last couple of months, all developed by myself. I am getting about 70% to 80% success rate that I am happy with. Just want to improve and improve, I live in Japan and the UK, in my late 50's so hopefully next 10 years will bring much joy. Wish I started years ago, actually only picked up using manual in the last few year.

I think the errors are down to me and appreciate your time to help me it is much appreciated..thank you