Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Enlarger Base Height - Beseler 45V-XL

Re: Enlarger Base Height - Beseler 45V-XL

Do you want to have to use a step stool to reach the negative carrier or focus controls? If not make the maximum height one that you can comfortably reach all controls when standing on the floor.
    Last edited by Bob Salomon; 8-Jun-2020 at 11:37.

Jeffery Dale Welker

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Do you want to have to use a strep stool to reach the negative carrier or focus controls? If not make the maximum height one that you can comfortably reach all controls when standing on the floor.
    Thanks Bob. You reminded me of something my father told me 40+ years ago when I was helping him relocate one of his enlargers in his darkroom. He was very specific about reaching the controls while standing.
    "I have this feeling of walking around for days with the wind knocked out of me." - Jim Harrison

One consideration is:
    Can you operate the focus adjustment while bent over looking through a grain focuser?

To get a little extra height in my darkroom, I cut the ceiling drywall between the studs to accommodate the head. I’ve got an 8x10 conversion on my VXL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by angusparker View Post
    To get a little extra height in my darkroom, I cut the ceiling drywall between the studs to accommodate the head. I’ve got an 8x10 conversion on my VXL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    But are you using the Beseler labeled Rodenstock 240mm process lens or a real enlarging lens? There are shorter a Rodenstock enlarging lenses for 810. Although you would have to jury rig a lens support.

Wall mounted enlargers seem like a great idea, in in practice rarely hold even acceptable alignment... Many variables come into the system that are under control in a optical bench/rail type of system fixed baseboard system... Try to avoid them if you can...

Decent 135mm or WA types will produce 16X20's on a Beseler... The other option is a well designed/built drop table with different shelf heights below (removable) if you do a lot of large enlargement sizes...

Get a decent 135mm (for cheap used these days), and test...

Steve K

There are a few ways to align an enlarger, I won't bother to discuss as so many object

It's geometry

not magic
    Tin Can

Jeffery Dale Welker

I appreciate the comments given - thank you.

I'm of the opinion that I presented my question poorly. Too much specific information about my darkroom dimensions, asking for specific measurement for my enlarger countertop from the floor, etc. Let me rephrase:

What distance, in inches, would I need from the bottom of my 150mm lens to my enlarger counter top in order for me to make 16"x20" prints?

With that dimension, I can evaluate my darkroom space and make a determination on the floor to countertop dimension that best addresses other important issues such as; ability to reach the enlarger controls while standing, sitting, etc. All personal considerations based upon my body dimensions and personal preferences.
    "I have this feeling of walking around for days with the wind knocked out of me." - Jim Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Salmo22 View Post
    I appreciate the comments given - thank you.

I'm of the opinion that I presented my question poorly. Too much specific information about my darkroom dimensions, asking for specific measurement for my enlarger countertop from the floor, etc. Let me rephrase:

What distance, in inches, would I need from the bottom of my 150mm lens to my enlarger counter top in order for me to make 16"x20" prints?

With that dimension, I can evaluate my darkroom space and make a determination on the floor to countertop dimension that best addresses other important issues such as; ability to reach the enlarger controls while standing, sitting, etc. All personal considerations based upon my body dimensions and personal preferences.
    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...om/bZfejJS60KU

Last year I built a second drop table, for my second Omega 4x5 DII.

Latest Darkroom Renovation 3 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Just an idea but might be worth considering, it gives you a lot of options. I print 16x20 from 4x5 and on down.

Omega DII Drop Table no 2 nearly completed by Nokton48, on Flickr

Drop Table 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain