Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is this shutter on a Vesta Portrait lens?

Re: What is this shutter on a Vesta Portrait lens?

Nope, all 5 screws are in place. I don't think that leaf was out of place when I got it and initially inspected it. But I have no idea how it went maverick! All I did was fire it at various speeds to check for timing and exercise them. I only noticed things were off after screwing in the cells. It didn't drop from my hands either. Yeah, it is a bummer!!!

Ok, the behavior is thus: I slid the switch from F to A (automatic, is it?) and the shutter fires with just the cocking lever at 1/100, 1/50, 1/25 and 1/10th. At 1/5 and slower it remains open and stuck till I rotate it back to 1/10th. It fires with a cable release at F (for FLASH, I suppose) in the same manner, all the way to 1/10th. The other weird bit is, at T and B, it fires with the same gusto as in 1/100th, instead of behaving as Time and Bulb. And that's both at F or A setting. The other observation is, the errant shutter leaf seems to get out of the way when I fire at 1/100th thru 1/10th, and is out of the way when the shutter is stuck at 1/5h and below.

I just saw the image from the original listing and the leaf was already out of place. I may have ignored it thinking it was a photographic anomaly. My bad!

Whir-Click, Do you think it is repairable? I can send it in for a CLA along with the lens cells to get them properly situated in that shutter. At $35, it's not a big loss if it can't be salvaged. I just have to find another shutter to fit it into. But it would be good to know if this can be fixed or not first.

avid1, the short answer is maybe, and I’ve just sent you a longer answer in a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whir-Click View Post
    avid1, the short answer is maybe, and I’ve just sent you a longer answer in a PM.
    Got it and responded via PM. Thanks