Thread: Developing 5x7 in 12x16 paper drum

Developing 5x7 in 12x16 paper drum

I develop sheet film in paper drums. That works well with 4 4x5 of two 5x7 sheets in an 8x10 drum with certain plastic spacers for the 4x5 to preclude them from overlapping.

I also have 12x16 paper drums which can contain 4 5x7 sheets. That would help to speed up my developing processing.

However, I did not succeed in using the same spacers and so, the sheets overlapped and I lost two sheets.

My question is: did anyone invent simple spacers that keep the sheets apart? I can imagine a plastic soacer like this

____/\____ between the sheets. Would that work?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 9 met Tapatalk

Re: Developing 5x7 in 12x16 paper drum

Martin, I don't think that it works because you get density diverences just before and after the spacers.

considering the spacers in the Unicolor drums which are very similar to your drawing, I doubt there will be a problem with density differences. Give them a try and find out.

Today I tested a new method. I modified the standard spacers that I have for the 8x10 drums so that they fit with the holding strips I have for the 12x16 and that works well. I need to cut off a small part of the spacers on one side. That's it. Perfectly even development as usual with these drums. Four sheets at a time with 600ml Rodinal 1+50. Love those drums!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 9 met Tapatalk

Between here and there

What sort of drums is it? Cibachrome?
    "Be still and allow the mud to settle."

For processing my 11x14 film I use JOBO 3062 drums. In JOBO's literature, they are listed for processing prints and not negatives. JOBO in fact did make another drum for processing 11x14 film (3027 with an insert), but I have never seen any of these drums FS on the used market, or for that matter being offered new. The 3062 drums have ribs in them to keep the "paper" being processed in place. When I started using these drums for processing film, I doubled the recommended amount of chemistry figuring that this would negate any increased or decreased development taking place next to the ribs. Not sure if it made any difference, but I have never experienced uneven development of the film sides resting on the ribs. Now I even have added small clips to the ribs to insure that the films would not dislodge after having this happen to me one time. Still even development even with the added clips.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
    What sort of drums is it? Cibachrome?
    Simma-color drums. Very similar to Unicolor.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G8441 met Tapatalk