Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why not a rangefinder?

Why not a rangefinder?

Hi. I am looking to get into LF photography - almost certainly 4x5. I prefer shooting people (wouldn't say portraits) than landscapes or architecture. I find all the options out there confusing, but what I know so far is that I would like some level of portability and some ability to use longer lenses (probably nothing over 300, but ...) and also 6x6 backs if possible.

What I don't understand is why people don't think that a rangefinder is a big deal for LF photography. Is the ability to continue to focus or adjust framing after you have insert the film not important or do rangefinders / viewfinders just not work that well with LF cameras/photography. Isn't it a problem if your model or whatever you are shooting moves slightly and you lose focus?

Re: Why not a rangefinder?

Rangefinders can not deal with movements of the standards swing and tilt) -- that is one reason you find them on press cameras -- movements generally not used for newspaper images.

If the focus needs to be adjusted due to movement of the model, chances are one needs to reframe the image, too.

It is also why Gowland made 4x5 TLRs -- and up to 8x10.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post

Oh no! What have you done? Like I didn't have a GAS problem already ...

YOu'll be lucky to find an 8x10 Gowland. Not a lot were produced.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Rangefinders can not deal with movements of the standards swing and tilt) -- that is one reason you find them on press cameras -- movements generally not used for newspaper images.

If the focus needs to be adjusted due to movement of the model, chances are one needs to reframe the image, too.

The Technika and the Wista RF aren’t press cameras, they are technical cameras and both have a rangefinder.
    Did you know that Linhof made 23, 45, 57 and a few 810 Technikas?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobab View Post
    Hi. I am looking to get into LF photography - almost certainly 4x5. I prefer shooting people (wouldn't say portraits) than landscapes or architecture. I find all the options out there confusing, but what I know so far is that I would like some level of portability and some ability to use longer lenses (probably nothing over 300, but ...) and also 6x6 backs if possible.

What I don't understand is why people don't think that a rangefinder is a big deal for LF photography. Is the ability to continue to focus or adjust framing after you have insert the film not important or do rangefinders / viewfinders just not work that well with LF cameras/photography. Isn't it a problem if your model or whatever you are shooting moves slightly and you lose focus?
    Look at the 45 Master a Technika people pictures of Mary Ellen Mark. Is that what you want to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobab View Post
    Oh no! What have you done? Like I didn't have a GAS problem already ...
    You'd also have to be a weight lifter for the TLR 8x10!!!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

You need a '5x7 Graflex Camera Series B. This is the camera type used by the National Geographic in the teens and twenties.' from https://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/graflex/Series%20B.html

It's SLR with up to 1/1000 shutter speed

Some can still fix it
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Look at the 45 Master a Technika people pictures of Mary Ellen Mark. Is that what you want to do?
    In my dreams. But yes. Though, wouldn't mind mixing in posed pictures too. Is that the camera for me? Should I forget the likes of the Chamonix and the Sinar?

You'd also have to be a weight lifter for the TLR 8x10!!!
    I'll be happy with a 4x5