Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to Work - At Home, Kids, etc

Where to Work - At Home, Kids, etc

While I wait for chems to arrive, I've been pondering how to work here in our small house.
    I have a small basement workshop which also serves as laundry room, storage, and my office is next door.
    My daughter is 9, she listens to me, and she won't get into any of my gear, but I'd still like to keep most of this away from her and my wife as much as possible.

I'd store the chemicals in my film fridge and the rest in a cooler.
    I've been thinking to have some kind of small tent to work in (silver bath, developer) that I can keep a gallon of water in, too.
    The smaller the better. In fact, if I could make something about the size of a Harrison medium tent, that'd be great.
    But it would have to be easily retractable/removable, with stiffer walls than a film changing tent, and somewhat portable.

An ice fishing tent is too big to keep in the basement, I think, but I may be wrong. I could make something out of plywood, but it'd be too heavy and not foldable.
    I'll be doing wet plate at home/in the backyard for the first few weeks, but I'd like to avoid running up and down stairs with silver nitrate dripping off a plate holder.
    What do you guys do? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Foamer

Re: Where to Work - At Home, Kids, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    While I wait for chems to arrive, I've been pondering how to work here in our small house.
    I have a small basement workshop which also serves as laundry room, storage, and my office is next door.
    My daughter is 9, she listens to me, and she won't get into any of my gear, but I'd still like to keep most of this away from her and my wife as much as possible.

I'd store the chemicals in my film fridge and the rest in a cooler.
    I've been thinking to have some kind of small tent to work in (silver bath, developer) that I can keep a gallon of water in, too.
    The smaller the better. In fact, if I could make something about the size of a Harrison medium tent, that'd be great.
    But it would have to be easily retractable/removable, with stiffer walls than a film changing tent, and somewhat portable.

An ice fishing tent is too big to keep in the basement, I think, but I may be wrong. I could make something out of plywood, but it'd be too heavy and not foldable.
    I'll be doing wet plate at home/in the backyard for the first few weeks, but I'd like to avoid running up and down stairs with silver nitrate dripping off a plate holder.
    What do you guys do? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Here's two that I've built. The first one does up to 5x7. The top is a big piece of 1/8 inch red plexi. I do 8x10 in the second but it could no doubt do 11x14. Both of these boxes collapse--the first one folds up flat, the second is just a big storage tub and everything can be taken down and fit inside. I don't advise pouring plates (collodion) in your basement if you have a gas furnace or dryer.

Kent in SD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DB1.jpg   DB3.jpg   NewBox.jpg   PL1.jpg  
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Thanks, Kent.

The furnace is off during summer months, but if I had a rig like your first one, I could set up anywhere.

I'll send you a PM, if you don't mind. Thanks

Got a hatchback, station wagon, or a pick up truck?

This southern lady does it in her trunk. I'm sure eventually you will take it on the road someday.

Make it a dedicated wet plate wagon.

"Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

I do have a hatchback, nice and big, too.
    But we only have one car, and in the winter, it gets used a lot.

I've definitely thought about getting a cheap second vehicle, a small van or hatchback, and using it only for WP excursions.

I will use my pickup with tall cap, everything quickly removable to my shed, oops, need another fridge for that now

I am also working on my cargo trailer to make it useful for wet plate and more

Now making Dark Slides for the 2 windows, more on that when done, with Rubylith inserts

A removable cover for my skylight aka exhaust fan

Big plans for this slowing down dreamer with endless projects, that get me up in the morning

not a moment to waste, whats that saying, youth is...

i forget
    Tin Can

What I've found is working in a darkbox, or small tent in the back of a truck is pretty hot and not conducive to making clean plates. At least for me, but I live in Arizona. Even in cool weather, it's best to have a lot of room where you are developing. Pouring the plate doesn't matter, you can do that in the light. But then you need to put it in the silver, and that's where I found myself scratching the collodion a lot if I was in tiny spaces. You have to keep your elbows in tight in a confined space, and your tanks are all close together, not much room to tilt the plate up to drain it, etc. It can be done, but it's much easier in a roomy ice fishing tent or dark room (I use my laundry room, the washer and dryer are my flat surfaces for trays and tanks).

The other thing is make sure you have enough light. Some people skimp and you'll not stop the development very quickly if you can't see the plate in dim red light. I use a red LED headlamp so I can see. Stay in the red spectrum, amber sometimes fogs. Don't allow direct sunlight to shine through rubylith onto your plate, it might fog. But don't worry about little pinholes in the roof of a tent, usually they won't cause a problem if you work fast and don't let a particular pinhole beam to hit the plate.

I suggest a padlock on the refrigerator used for chemistry to prevent accidents.

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    Here's two that I've built. The first one does up to 5x7. The top is a big piece of 1/8 inch red plexi. I do 8x10 in the second but it could no doubt do 11x14. Both of these boxes collapse--the first one folds up flat, the second is just a big storage tub and everything can be taken down and fit inside. I don't advise pouring plates (collodion) in your basement if you have a gas furnace or dryer.

Kent in SD
    Is the first one a commercially available product, in part or in total?
    The cat is an interesting accessory...

I'd say work anywhere you like, but put the pets/kids in the spare room/dark box/ice tent etc, and tell 'em it's time to play pirate...

But tell 'em not to drink the "pirate juice" in the bottles with the skulls and crossbones... ;-)

Steve K