I have been struggling for the past year with a decision to abandon the view camera as a tool in my photographic arsenal. The evidence (film shot) shows that I am not using it as I once did. Down from hundreds of negatives per year last year to a mere 15 this past year.

For a variety of reasons my available time to photograph has changed and the projects I am working on run parallel to daily activities so I have been carrying my Leica with me most of the time. I have continued to work on a landscape project that has developed from my near daily dog walks. I have been using the Leica for this as well but am not pleased with the print quality much beyond 5x7 inch prints.

So I have been considering an alternative to my 8x10 camera---the Mamiya 7. I toyed with the idea of going back to 4x5 but it would present the same issues as the 8x10---slow and not as mobile as necessary.

I borrowed a Mamiya 7 from a friend and it certainly fits into my life and the dog walks. I suspect I will be happy with the print quality since I used to be pleased with negatives from other medium format cameras.

I wish I could afford to keep the 8x10 and get the Mamiya but I just don't have the cash.

And last, my back gives me occassional problems that carrying the big camera around does not help.

So there you have it. Am I neglecting to consider something in my thinking?

steve