Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from South Korea

Hello from South Korea

Hello, I'm just an amateur who really likes film photography, and is truly excited to be here.

Ever since I found that there is such place called large format photography, I knew I just had to get there.
    The amount of freedom you could get from a view camera amazed me and amazes me even more now that I got my hand on one.

I first purchased a Linhof kardan color 45s and a fujinon w 210mm f/5.6 lens about a month ago from Japanese auction.
    Today, I proceeded to purchase a Linhof Kardan Bi system partly because it came with a bag bellows and a focusing hood. I just couldn't let it pass.

Anyways, this forum always helped me tremendously when I googled for information regarding large format photography.
    Now that I have two view cameras and it seems there is no turning back, I wanted to join the forum and be a participant.

I'll end my intro with a test shot taken with instax wide film on a 4x5 film holder, and thanks! ( English isn't my first language so forgive me for any unnatural expressions.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img003.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	202609

Re: Hello from South Korea

Welcome, and if most of us had a second language as good as your English, we'd we proud indeed.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Welcome! I like the image you posted and look forward to seeing many more. Your English is excellent, had you not commented at the end, I would have assumed English to be your native language.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    Welcome, and if most of us had a second language as good as your English, we'd we proud indeed.
    +1 on this sentiment June. And please be sure to share as you begin your journey.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

June, welcome and please feel free to ask any questions you need to. There are many helpful photographers here. As you read more you will get to know the one giving you useful information. I am married to an ESL professor who's name is June as well so you have the right name. My wife is a fine photographer as well but her real passion is teaching English as a second language. As a native speaker I can tell you that you more than likely speak the language better than most of us here! At least me! Welcome.

Welcome! Nice photo; can you provide some more information on that 4x5" holder to make shots on Fuji Instax wide film? Is that a commercial product or did you fabricate it yourself?

Thanks all for your kind welcome, it really encourages me more to dive into large format photography.

Ulophot, Peter, scheinflugger, I'm so glad I could communicate in English smoothly with all of you.
    I actually spent two years in the US when I was 11(i'm 30 now). My father, who was an officer for the Republic of Korea Army, was sent to Oklahoma army base as a liasion.
    I guess what I have learned then is still left in me in some ways. I wish I could revisit and photograph magnificent American southern, mid western landscapes.

Jim, thank you for the encouragement. I will also take time and try to digest many helpful information that's available on this forum.
    In my culture the word 'June' is frequently used in people's name becuase it has the meaning of 'to be excellent, to stand out'. Your wife seems to have lived up to her name!
    Teaching and helping others is highly honorable, and her being able to share the joy of photography with you is wonderful too. I'm sure you are also a man of character to meet such a lady.

Ron, thanks for the compliment.
    Yes I will try to provide more information through another post. The basic idea is-and I learned it from a youtube video-you cut four corners on a 4x5 negative, or any other thing that may hold the instax film. Then you stick the corners of instax film into the cuts, and slide the material that's holding the film into the holder. In the dark bag or darkroom of course.
    After making exposures you put the exposed instax film back to any instax wide film camera and fire a shutter with lens covered. Then the image will appear.

Welcome June,

lovely to see you here and see your photographs.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing more!

Les

Yobo Sayo,

Your photo reminds me of something from Busan, when I arrived from Jeju. But.... Welcome to LF forum. Lots of memories from S. Korea.

Les

Thanks, 6x6TLL
    I will try to make progress and post more photographs and tell more stories!

Leszek
    You know Korean! That is so amazing.
    In the photo is a local sashimi store near Seoul. The fish tank looks alike in any sashimi store from Seoul to Busan to Jeju...
    It's great to meet someone who has been to Korea. I wish your staying and your memories in Korea were good ones
    Thank you for the welcome.