Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Collodion and Chemical Suppliers

Re: Collodion and Chemical Suppliers

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Thanks, Paul, appreciate this very much.
    From my screen, it looks like the TF-4 kept the highlights better than the other two, but perhaps there are other factors causing that difference.
    My experiment wasn't ideal: as much as it looked like it was going to stay semi-overcast for the hour I was working on this, the light changed after the first plate as the clouds thinned. I think the differences in the highlights are all about changes in the light quality outside the window. I should have done this test under artificial light, really, but I dislike using my compact fluorescent softbox - so slow.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    My experiment wasn't ideal: as much as it looked like it was going to stay semi-overcast for the hour I was working on this, the light changed after the first plate as the clouds thinned. I think the differences in the highlights are all about changes in the light quality outside the window. I should have done this test under artificial light, really, but I dislike using my compact fluorescent softbox - so slow.
    It's good to know that even under different conditions various fixers gives all three images a very similar look.

Foamer

I've been using PF-4 as fixer for b&w film and the B&S for wet plate. Good to know I can use PF-4 for both. Same concentration?

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I've been using PF-4 as fixer for b&w film and the B&S for wet plate. Good to know I can use PF-4 for both. Same concentration?

Kent in SD
    Kent,
    I mixed the TF4 as directed on the bottle: one to three. I have no idea if this is ideal or not, I just used the dilution suggested.

What I have found is your plate tones as well as the quality of exposure are contingent on exactly how long you expose and develop. If you develop a little longer than the previous plate (like 1 more second), it may change the tones. But to me the Ammonium Thio looked very redish when I tried it. It also depends on your developer strength. And again, exposure. One guy might go a little short on the exposure, and develop long. The other, vice versa. The tones will be different.

BTW: I use a pretty strong concentration of Hypo, almost to saturation, in tap water. I don't use distilled. That also may make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    What I have found is your plate tones as well as the quality of exposure are contingent on exactly how long you expose and develop. If you develop a little longer than the previous plate (like 1 more second), it may change the tones.
    This is my experience as well. So many variables play a role in the look of the final plate, enough so that its inaccurate to say that the choice of fixer alone determines the color of the plate.

Quick question, you can shoot me down just as quickly. This would be for making collodion and developer solutions.

Can 99% isopropyl alcohol be used in place of 90 proof grain alcohol?
    The former is much easier for me to get, a 5-minute walk. The latter requires a 1 hr car trip and uncertain availability.

Quick question, you can shoot me down just as quickly. This would be for making collodion and developer solutions.

Can 99% isopropyl alcohol be used in place of 90 proof grain alcohol?
    The former is much easier for me to get, a 5-minute walk. The latter requires a 1 hr car trip and uncertain availability.
    Ari.
    I can't find references to using Isopropyl alcohol as a substitute for Ethanol (grain alcohol) but I see mention of using denatured alcohol as a reasonable substitute. I've searched Quinn Jacobson's materials, Mark Osterman's, and John Coffer's. They all say substitute denatured alcohol of grain alcohol isn't available.

No mail order options??

Thanks, Paul.
    I only have Quinn's book (2014) and found nothing in there except the grain alcohol/denatured alcohol recipes.
    It must obviously be an important distinction, even if they're brothers from a different mother.

Foamer

Thanks, Paul.
    I only have Quinn's book (2014) and found nothing in there except the grain alcohol/denatured alcohol recipes.
    It must obviously be an important distinction, even if they're brothers from a different mother.

Isopropyl is a different molecule from the two-carbon ethanol. Apparently that makes a difference.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!