Thread: Dark room Taps

Dark room Taps

G’Day All
    I am starting to look at building a sink for my Darkroom and I am looking for a set of taps that have a thermometer built in that I can see what temp is coming out the spout.Is there a preferred brand .I am planning on using 3/4 plywood for the sink with an oil based paint or poly urethane, any hints on design or mistakes not to make?
    Thanks
    Michael

Re: Dark room Taps

West Systems Epoxy will likely last longer than you do. Find it at a marine supplier. My sink was built in 1989, and has never leaked.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    West Systems Epoxy will likely last longer than you do. Find it at a marine supplier. My sink was built in 1989, and has never leaked.
    Thank you I will look them up

Drew Wiley

Be very careful working with marine epoxies indoors. You need serious ventilation, eye protection, and rubber (not vinyl) gloves.Two or three coats, applied a day apart. Common brands are West, Smith, and Abatron. You want the 2-part penetrating variety which has a liquid consistency when applied. Mix only enough at a time for a single application. Use a natural fiber disposable brush, and don't underestimate the health risk of the fumes. But such epoxies cure to completion within several days.

Michael, Check out these folks for hardware: https://deltaphotosupplies.com/darkr...-controls.html.
    One of the keys to a working sink is to make the the bottom slope to the drain. On the last two darkrooms I built, instead of using epoxy, I had the deck builders in town come in and cover my sink with Duradek vinyl material. It has worked like a charm & if i ever move, i'd do it that way again.

If you us Hass Temp Control, and install it within 6 ft of your taps it will deliver quickly good temps, even I can hear it settle in

I have an ancient high grade mechanical dial thermometer in the stream at the Hass to compare

Fed by PEX which insulates a bit are 4 brass taps, 2 ball valve for fast flow and 2 gate valve for precise slow flow which is good for paper or film washers
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Be very careful working with marine epoxies indoors. You need serious ventilation, eye protection, and rubber (not vinyl) gloves.Two or three coats, applied a day apart. Common brands are West, Smith, and Abatron. You want the 2-part penetrating variety which has a liquid consistency when applied. Mix only enough at a time for a single application. Use a natural fiber disposable brush, and don't underestimate the health risk of the fumes. But such epoxies cure to completion within several days.
    Thank you for the warning ,I already have enough problems breathing ,I will be Carefull.