Thread: Highlanda Lutheran Church

Foamer

Highlanda Lutheran Church

I drove up to the South Dakota/North Dakota border yesterday since it was such perfect weather. I did a tin type for three churches and shot some FP4 of an abandoned farm house. Below is Highlanda Church, about 15 miles northeast of Roslyn, SD. I had some trouble getting to it since a lot of roads are under water. All in all I wasn't happy with the shots I took although all came out OK to some degree. This one has some erosion of the collodion on the right side where I poured the developer. There's also a bare spot at the bottom. Not sure if that was from pouring developer or fixer. I'm generally careful to not pour things directly onto the image. Exception is the developer which I try to quickly pour along an edge in a smooth even manner. It's not hard to get images but the trick is in making them come out very clean. Every step in the process can produce artifacts.

I will add that this was a sunny day but getting later in the afternoon, 5 pm. The amount of UV/blue seems to change. Exposure was f16 and 4s. Earlier was I doing f16 and 2s. Lens was a B&L rapid rectilinear c.1890s, in Unicum shutter. I just leave the shutter open and use my hand to start & stop exposure. 4x5

Kent in SD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Highlanda.jpg  
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Re: Highlanda Lutheran Church

very excellent!

The blanks spots at the bottom are areas that didn't get developer on them (or not enough). Fixer won't make marks like that. Working out in the field is difficult at the best of times, so kudos for getting a very respectable image! (in spite of the flaws)

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    The blanks spots at the bottom are areas that didn't get developer on them (or not enough). Fixer won't make marks like that. Working out in the field is difficult at the best of times, so kudos for getting a very respectable image! (in spite of the flaws)

Since switching from the tip-tray method to the in-hand method, I still sometimes do get islands the developer didn't hit.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!