Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Wet Plate Collodion questions answered here.

Re: Wet Plate Collodion questions answered here.

Quote Originally Posted by ethics_gradient View Post
    It sounds like you're doing it right, Borut Peterlin has a video or two on YT where he demonstrates the technique. Developing is much more tricky than the collodion pour (see below), uneven development can result from insufficient agitation or the collodion not being runny enough (can dilute with more alcohol to help it flow better).

Pour until the puddle is about 3/4 of the way out to the edges before you stop and start tilting it to each corner.

I started wet plate back in Australia where collodion is comparatively expensive (100mls for AUD$65) and it took me way too long to stop being too stingy with my pours. In the end I had to realise that saving a few mLs of collodion to make a bad plate is a false economy, and with technique you can recapture most of the overage in your pour-off bottle anyways.
    Thank you for the feedback. It was actually one of Borut's videos that caused me to realize my developing technique may have been causing me issues. I also hear what you're saying about the false economy of being stingy on chemicals...I'm constantly guilty of that as well. Thanks again.

After reasonable success with an old wooden view camera and brass lens, I'd like to try wet plate with my Graflex Crown Graphic 23 with Optar 101mm lens. I have a film pack adapter to modify for plates. My main question is in regards to the lens. Any reason it wouldn't work for wet plate...UV transmission or anything like that? Any other possible concerns? Thanks, Eric

It will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric in Vegas View Post
    After reasonable success with an old wooden view camera and brass lens, I'd like to try wet plate with my Graflex Crown Graphic 23 with Optar 101mm lens. I have a film pack adapter to modify for plates. My main question is in regards to the lens. Any reason it wouldn't work for wet plate...UV transmission or anything like that? Any other possible concerns? Thanks, Eric
    No, there's no reason to think the lens would be inappropriate for your needs. in fact, it would be very difficult to find a lens that wouldn't work for Wet Plate.

Please help: a line with bubbles on a plate (ambrotype)
    The line and bubbles in the middle of this plate, what do you think could be the cause? I don't believe it's a hesitation mark since the plate is dipped horizontally when immersed in silver nitrate (This image on the right is a section of a vertical portrait). It might be influenced by ether or alcohol leaching into the silver nitrate, but I'm only speculating. I perform heavy maintenance and aerate the silver nitrate relatively frequently (although it might not be enough). If anyone has encountered similar issues and identified the cause, could you please share your insights? (I understand there are likely multiple factors at play.) It happens once in a blue moon.

The collodion: KI and CdBr mixed a month ago.
    Size: 5x7in.
    Room temp: 23C
    Humidity: 40%
    The length of sensitization: 4mins

Thank you!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	problem2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	245432

Quote Originally Posted by Ichi View Post
    Please help: a line with bubbles on a plate (ambrotype)
    The line and bubbles in the middle of this plate, what do you think could be the cause? I don't believe it's a hesitation mark since the plate is dipped horizontally when immersed in silver nitrate (This image on the right is a section of a vertical portrait). It might be influenced by ether or alcohol leaching into the silver nitrate, but I'm only speculating. I perform heavy maintenance and aerate the silver nitrate relatively frequently (although it might not be enough). If anyone has encountered similar issues and identified the cause, could you please share your insights? (I understand there are likely multiple factors at play.) It happens once in a blue moon.

The collodion: KI and CdBr mixed a month ago.
    Size: 5x7in.
    Room temp: 23C
    Humidity: 40%
    The length of sensitization: 4mins

Thank you!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	problem2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	245432
    IŽd say, its hesitation marks. Horizontally sensitized plates tend to flow a bit and may not submerge evenly...