Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about JOBO expert drums

Question about JOBO expert drums

Those of you who use JOBO expert drums - how long does it typically take for the drum to dry out, after a processing session, to the point that it's ready to use again? And, if/when you do process in batches, do you use the sponge-on-a-stick thing, use a towel or chamois, or run a fan to speed the drying at all? Thanks.

Re: Question about JOBO expert drums

I usually wait a day. They do have to be dry or full of water. The later is difficult for me to manage without making a mess between wet and dry side.

Tim Sandstrom

if I have to use it again, I'll use a wash cloth first, and then blow-dryer to dry it out, only takes a few minutes

I don't have to wait to use it again because I load my tanks wet (full of water).

If I need to use it right away, I wrap a paper town around that worthless sponge on a stick, and use that to get what moisture is in the drum out. Then I use a hair drier on low to dry the tubes out. I push the button on the hair drier a lot that turns the heat off, but keeps blowing. Too much heat can deform the plastic...and possible melt the glue?

My best solution -- I have three 3005s (and a 3006)..I typically load all three up in the evening, and process the next day. I don't have any more room to hang wet negatives after that!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Redbud57 View Post
    Those of you who use JOBO expert drums - how long does it typically take for the drum to dry out, after a processing session, to the point that it's ready to use again?...
    It varies greatly depending on ambient relative humidity. Here in coastal southern California, typically at least 12 hours, although a hot offshore wind (Santa Ana) can shorten that to a couple of hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbud57 View Post
    ...do you use the sponge-on-a-stick thing...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    ...that worthless sponge on a stick...
    The worth of Jobo Drying Rods depends on how old they are. Earlier ones, which I have two of (one in each size) and use regularly, employed natural sponges that are highly absorbent with great water-holding capacity. Newer versions, which include synthetic sponges, make Vaughn's "worthless" description seem generous.

Takes a day to dry out if hung upside down at 45˚.
    A hair dryer and/or extra tank solve the problem of waiting for a tank to dry.

Thanks for the info and tips, all!

Jobo directions say not to exceed 122F -- if it is too hot on your hand, it is too hot for the drum.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

That sponge dryer thingieee sorta-kinda moves the water around. Does not really dry the drum cylinders. Applying a paper towel with the sponge thingieee can help aid in drying. Still, it takes a while for the cylinders to air dry, could be an hour or more depending on humidity and temperature.

If the cylinders are not dry while loading film, no one is going to be ok with film sticking and a number of other problems.

My solution to this problem is to have more than one drum. This allows quantity processing of sheet film and not be concerned with wet or moist cylinders. This became the answer after struggling with trying to dry off cylinders and making sure they were dry enough to load film without problems. While the multi drum solution is not low cost. It does allow rapid processing of many sheets of film and efficient used of mixed chemistry.

Bernice