Thread: Front mounted Sinar Copal

Front mounted Sinar Copal

In sorting out the various elements of using my Ritter 20 x 24, I was not getting the consistency I needed with a lens cap shutter (30 inch Red Dot Artar). Looked a various options and taking into account my fabrication skill set, I have mounted a Sinar Copal in front of the lens mounted on a separate tripod. There is no pressure or weight on the lens.

Since I did not see anyone else suggesting this as option, I suspect it might not be the ideal solution but I thought I would try it any way since I was not ready to ship the lens board out to have it fitted more elegantly behind the lens.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sinar.jpg  

Re: Front mounted Sinar Copal

Also once "front mounted" a Sinar shutter when I was using a 14x17 camera. Problem encountered was that in the time from when I removed the dark slide to when I inserted it back into the holder, light reflecting off the back of the shutter slightly fogged the film. Never tried that again, but I suppose if one drapes the shutter and lens with a dark cloth, it would eliminate any possible fogging.

Greg, thanks for sharing your experience. I will be sure to take care of this when I am out shooting next.

While absolutely possible to front mount a Sinar shutter to a view camera, know the normally back side of the Sinar shutter is designed to support a bellows, not a lens board with a heavy lens. Best to convert the target camera by replacing the target camera's front standard fame with a Sinar frame, then modifying the bellows to match the required Sinar attachment frame. This mandates using Sinar lens boards with the conversion. It will solve these potential problems and results in a proper transplant of the Sinar shutter to a given target camera.

Bernice