Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Used gear and availability

Re: Used gear and availability

Quote Originally Posted by simdil View Post
    Can you suggest some good sources where to buy used gear? I am really struggling.
    Thank you all.
    The FS sub forum right here! It'll be accessible after 30 days.
    What is it about Arcas and Linhofs that appeal to you? They are very fine cameras of course, but if you are just starting out--- and I don't know that you are or aren't---there are other good cameras that seem to go begging.
    If you jump at one you'll
    1) start burning film, learning technique.
    2) begin building your lens and film holder collection, which you can transfer to a 'hof or Arca when you finally find one
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    How do you know that there aren’t many made today?
    True. I don't know. It is a supposition based on expensive, limited market items. Maybe you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    True. I don't know. It is a supposition based on expensive, limited market items. Maybe you know?
    I know that both companies are in business and making cameras. While other companies like Sinar went bust and were bought by Leica but don’t make large format any more. While Linhof and Arca still do.

I had been researching LF for about a year and getting a good idea of what camera I'd ideally like to get. Kept an eye on the usual venues (here, eBay, KEH, Adorama, etc), and shortly thereafter a perfect 4x5 Arca Swiss F metric field with orbix showed up on eBay at a very fair price, a photographer was selling his. I bought it, had it gone over by Bob at Precision Camera works and expect to enjoy it for as long as I'm able to shoot.

My point being there are cameras out there, patience and persistence are key.

I would also suggest aligning with the Arca Swiss or Linhof reps (depending on which camera you want), as they have their finger on the market as well as a huge network of existing users, some of whom might want to let go of their cameras.

Warm thanks to everybody for the support and the suggestions.
    You are right, it is a matter of patience. Just today a Technikardan popped out on eBay for a good price with some minor defects (spirit levels need replacement, bellow is in rather used conditions...). It´s kind of gambling, not being able to proof and test the camera. But I think it´s a fair deal if compared to the prices of new models.
    Again, thank you all and carry on shooting!

Did you win it?
    Congratulations and use it in good health!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

i agree with gnd2.

Sales and purchases have slowed a lot during the virus.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Collins View Post
    i agree with gnd2.

Sales and purchases have slowed a lot during the virus.

As someone who buys everything used and is currently looking for a couple of LF items, I agree. Pretty slim pickings lately. I would have predicted the opposite.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I think there is a demoraphic/generational aspect6 involved. Production of new LF gear is reduced because no one is shooting LF commercially any more. That limits availability.

Professional LF shooters left the commercial arena years ago and their gear has changed hands a few times in the hobby community. Now the millennials and their offspring, Gens x-Y-Z, have inherited Grampa's stuff . . .and they don't care.

Maybe more stuff will hit the market as folks try to pay the bills in this Pandemic year.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

it ie with bitter-sweet memory that I recall the old days of the Houston Camera Show. At its peak in the mid to late 1990s, there were over 250 tables of photographic. Wish I knew then what I know now. I'd have bought every brass lens in sight regardless . . .They were only a few dollars apace then, whatever the maker.

Oh well . . .water over the dam and woulda-coulda-shoulda.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!