Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scanning 8x10 Negatives

Re: Scanning 8x10 Negatives

I scan 8x10 with Microtek, Scanmaker i900. It scans via transmission, not reflection and has done a great job for about 20 years.

I would 100% agree, love to spend all my time in the darkroom and really, really don't love hanging digital (inkjet) prints. That said, I shoot 6x17 as well and don't have an 8x10 enlarger so making digital negatives is actually a reasonable solution and provides a fiber based print in the end produced in the darkroom. I also love 8x10 contacts but have a few times where a larger print makes sense and again, the digital negative has some benefits. Photoshop makes it so simple to remove dust and artifacts and make small layer adjustments that I came to the realization that it can't be ignored anymore. Just my excuses for the day.

I've scanned 5 x 7 color negs with the 750, but upgraded to a IQsmart 2. It does a better job (no surprise, I suspect) but the 750 results were quite acceptable. Not sure what film the negs were - they were shot in 1973. I'll try to remember to pull a couple out of storage and check the film type tomorrow. I did a couple of 8 x 10 scans as well, but most of what I do in LFis 5 x 7

I've been using a V750 for several years for negatives up to 8x10. Does a nice job. Good enough for my needs.

Once upon a time I DIGI spotted all negative scans

Bought my V700 new 8-9 years ago, almost never turn it off

It is fine for my purpose and I never spot wet DR prints or negatives

I embrace flaws

I am careful about dust, yet my DR is always humidified, in winter, that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    I've been using a V750 for several years for negatives up to 8x10. Does a nice job. Good enough for my needs.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by bmikiten View Post
    Quick update to those following this. I purchased a piece of museum glass (2.50mm) and used a .060 shim (cardboard for the test) on both sides of the glass and got great full frame 8x10 negative scans. I used the Betterlight glass I use for 4x5 and measured from a granite base to the surface of the glass as I knew that it was perfectly in focus for my scanner. I then produced shims to move the museum glass to exactly the same plane above the lens. No issues at all and I can wet or dry mount with great clarity. This was much less expensive than any of the other methods (special printed or cut frames, etc) I tried and the entire assembly is less than $50.00.
    Would it be possible for you to post photos of this setup? I just got a V850 and have about 100 negatives that need to be scanned. I shoot almost exclusively 8x10 so a solid wet mounting setup for $50 sounds almost too good to be true. Thanks in advance!

To give an idea here is a comparison of the v850 at 4000dpi and my Howtek HiResolve 8000 at 2000dpi. I need to adjust the distance of the 8x10 on the v850 to improve focus. That being said this comparison shows the radical difference between drum and v850. Using a digital camera still won't approach this and you have a lot of extra steps to do with stitching images together.

Image on left is flat bed. Image on right is drum scan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2503.jpg  

I would hope it is different. I use a Scitex scanner and the results are far better than any standard flatbed but of course, the cost is 5x - 10x higher. As others have mentioned, it all comes down to your final product, needs and your attention to detail and your craft.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    To give an idea here is a comparison of the v850 at 4000dpi and my Howtek HiResolve 8000 at 2000dpi. I need to adjust the distance of the 8x10 on the v850 to improve focus. That being said this comparison shows the radical difference between drum and v850. Using a digital camera still won't approach this and you have a lot of extra steps to do with stitching images together.

Image on left is flat bed. Image on right is drum scan
    Hm, before showing critical comparison between V850 and Howtek or else you must adjust Epson focus, or what else do you want to prove? Did you scan on groundglass or filmholder (wet-mounting FH)? How did you get the film flat? What is the view-ratio of your comparison pics, 100%?
    My own comparisons between V850 with (adjusted) filmholder 3200dpi and Nikon LS9000 4000dpi shows only marginal sharpness differences I can show if you want ...
    regards Rainer

I contact print the 8x10 negative onto RC VC paper using a contact print frame and a light in my bathroom. Develop the print in the bathtub and then scan the print. Once you get started it is actually pretty easy. I don't mess with fiber prints, just use inexpensive Arista EDU RC VC glossy paper. It is not that hard. Attached is a small example from my Conley #1 camera.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Conley-1---041.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	245517
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan