Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scanning 8x10 Negatives

Scanning 8x10 Negatives

Hi All,
    Anyone had experience with scanning 5x7 and 8x10 negatives? Would say an Epson Perfection V800 be up to the task? Is there a big difference between V800 and V850?
    Thanks, Steve

Re: Scanning 8x10 Negatives

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    Hi All,
    Anyone had experience with scanning 5x7 and 8x10 negatives? Would say an Epson Perfection V800 be up to the task? Is there a big difference between V800 and V850?
    Thanks, Steve
    Nope to your question. Everyone seems to be jumping on the high resolution digital camera wagon these days. I had an old Microtek scanner probably 15 years back, they still make a version, on high resolution even modern scanners take forever and a day. It had a carrier for 8x10, but it took forever.

Foamer

I scan with Epson v700, mostly b&w 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10. I lay the two bigger ones flat on the glass emulsion side down. I think the difference between 800 & 850 is the 850 includes Silverfast software. I'm using Vuescan. Results are good.

Kent in SD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails K2DIceFishm.jpg   K2Dbikesm.jpg  
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I've been scanning 8x10 for nearly 20 years on an Epson Expression 1680 Pro. It doesn't have the higher resolution of today's scanners, but it's fine for my needs.

I’ve scanned 8x10 for many years, first with an Epson 4990, then with a V750. The higher resolution lens on the 750 will not cover 8x10, but it scans well with the lower resolution lens for my purposes. I use Vuescan, too.

Hi All,
    Thanks, Steve
    As j.e. said, the Epson has two different lenses, the high resolution lens covers 5.9" so the 8x10 negatives are scanned with the lower resolution lens on the bed with emulsion side down, this still yields +300MPix effective which is an insane amount. Many drum scanning services only offer 2000dpi scans for 8x10", the same the Epson obtains for 8x10", a 4000dpi drum scan costs hunders of $ if offered, so we can say that the Epson and 8x10" size is a powerful combination.

See my "famously infame" bell, epson 8x10 scanned, showing in your monitor like in a 6m high print: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125592...5/32535835184/

See the bolts over the wood... well, this would be in a 6m print... if your print is 1.5m then it would be perfect.

The V850 includes a Silverfast version that makes multi-exposure (https://www.silverfast.com/highlight...posure/en.html) that is useful for very underexposed velvia slides. If you purchase the V800 you later can upgrade the SF version to have M-E for some bucks.

The 50 it usually includes a second set of holders, so you load next batch while scanning

Also the 50 has lenses with better coating, but it's not clear if this adds any benefit in practice.

The V800-850 does not include 5x7 holders so you have to scan it on bed with the lower resolution lens like with 8x10", but as the high resolution lens covers 5.9" wide you can scan it in holder at higher resolution with other third party or DIY solutions.

That is all good information. I have an older version of Silverfast but also use VueScan for most of my work. Just contemplating returning to the dark room or continue on the Epson print solutions. I am primarily a black and white printer have been using pezio

I use an Epson V750 for all my 8x10 negatives and it delivers outstanding results. I could print billboards from the scans.

That is all good information. I have an older version of Silverfast but also use VueScan for most of my work. Just contemplating returning to the dark room or continue on the Epson print solutions. I am primarily a black and white printer have been using pezio
    Return to the darkroom please.

Scanners are important but a well crafted darkroom print is precious.
    Last edited by Pere Casals; 27-May-2020 at 17:57.

I scan with an HP G4050. As with most flatbeds it isn't supposed to meet it's resolution specs, but I wouldn't know because I never scan over 1000ppi, which is more than enough for large format. You can buy them used on Ebay for $50 plus shipping. Then power it with Vuescan--another $50 or so. Don't even *think* of using the HP software! I've been very happy with it. Scans on my LF flickr site, if you want to see what it does. Any lack of sharpness on those is because I'm using X-ray film, which isn't too sharp, itself.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear