Thread: Vertical Photos With Linhof Master Technika Question?

Vertical Photos With Linhof Master Technika Question?

Hi, I have really been enjoying my newly acquired Linhof Master Technika and today I had something come up that surprised me.

Up to this point, I have been using the camera with the standard 150mm lens creating horizontal images. So far, that has been fantastic.

I rotated the back to create a portrait image and I am seeing something obstructing in my foreground. I thought that was very strange with a standard lens, but I fiddled around a bit and dropped the bed and tried a few other things. Nothing get the obstruction out of my foreground and I am 100% sure it is camera related and not in my photo.

What is this Linhof newbie missing to be able to use this camera to create vertical images?

Thank you

Larry

Re: Vertical Photos With Linhof Master Technika Question?

Do you have infinity stops properly installed for the 150?
    Are you using the correct bed position?

You apparently have either the front of the bed, should not interfere with a 150.
    Or perhaps your bellows is dropping into the image area, exceptionally rare with a Linhof factory bellows properly installed. Unless the bellows is badly worn out.

Have you downloaded the instruction book from the Linhof factory site?

Hi Bob, thanks for the quick response.

Yes, the 150mm lens is cammed and working perfectly.

I do believe I am using the correct bed position, but I adjusted to every position just to eliminate that as a variable.

The bellows are in like-new condition and I thought the same thing as it may be the bellows. I even tugged on them to see if I could make the obstruction move on the ground glass.

I was out in the field with it this morning when this happened and I am back home now getting some lunch. I had to switch back to a horizontal composition to get the photo, but hopefully this will get sorted out.

I am going to look at all of this again more closely to see if I can determine what the issue might be.

More to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Do you have infinity stops properly installed for the 150?
    Are you using the correct bed position?

You apparently have either the front of the bed, should not interfere with a 150.
    Or perhaps your bellows is dropping into the image area, exceptionally rare with a Linhof factory bellows properly installed. Unless the bellows is badly worn out.

Have you downloaded the instruction book from the Linhof factory site?

Focus camera to inf, back vertical, and remove focusing panel... Look at lens at the angle of the rear edges and see if anything might be intruding to your sight line...

What could be happening is the bellows are supposed to have metal loops on the sides that hook to a spring loaded catch on the FS sides when using medium amounts of bellows, but unclip for longer extensions... If unclipped, the middle section of bellows are not stretched enough and can sag into image area...

Hope I'm explaining this right, but the bellows loops should hooked when using medium bellows extensions...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Focus camera to inf, back vertical, and remove focusing panel... Look at lens at the angle of the rear edges and see if anything might be intruding to your sight line...

What could be happening is the bellows are supposed to have metal loops on the sides that hook to a spring loaded catch on the FS sides when using medium amounts of bellows, but unclip for longer extensions... If unclipped, the middle section of bellows are not stretched enough and can sag into image area...

Hope I'm explaining this right, but the bellows loops should hooked when using medium bellows extensions...

Steve K
    Not on a Technika since the lll.

I found the issue...

At the very back towards the rear standard, the bellows was folded in a strange way and a little piece of the oddly folded bellows was protruding downward causing the issue. I was not able to take the camera apart in the field this morning, but once I got home and went through everything very closely, I was able to find it.

Thanks for everyone's help!

This camera has definitely been a learning experience compared to my previous 4x5 cameras, but I am definitely enjoying it and also struggling with simple things like this and the inability to use my 4x6 GND filters because they physically hit the bed of the camera. I could use a srew on type GND, but there really isn't a great option because I never know where the line needs to be placed based on the scene. I guess the old saying is true that nothing in perfect that there are always pros and cons.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Not on a Technika since the lll.