Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a camera to hike 2000+ miles

Re: Help me choose a camera to hike 2000+ miles

Olympus XA... ;-)

Steve K

I'd use two fuji rangefinders, one with a normal and one with a wide lens.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I would shove a holga in the pack as well

For 4x5, the lightest Chamonix which folds, which I think is the N2, but you could ask if they would make you a N1. For medium format I’d go with the Fuji GF670 as it has a built in light meter meaning one less thing to carry.

Hi, there are so many useful recommendations here!

I'd prefer Graflex, Fujica 690 and - Horsemans: what about a Horseman FA or a Horseman VH?

The FA essentially has the same functionality as a Linhof technika, but weights only 1,9 kg, it is affordable and has smaller lensboards.

I wouldn't recommend the Intrepid concept - you would have to store your lens separately and it is crappy.

Also useful: a Horseman VH (as a smaller FA), with Ilford Pan F+ or Kodak T-Max 100 in 6x9 ... A Horseman 985 is even more affordable (200 USD) and offers a range finder ... They're also lighter than a Mamiya RB or a Zenza Bronica with its set of lenses.

Lighter than Horsemans? Graflex Crown Century 4x5 without RF etc. and Graflex Century Graphic 6x9 - but: there aren't much movements ...

After many decades of using Leica and Nikon 35mm cameras and a variety of press and view cameras, it seems to me that digital equipment has overwhelming advantages for a 2000 mile hike like the OP proposes. Sometimes we have to sacrifice a little image quality for practical reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    After many decades of using Leica and Nikon 35mm cameras and a variety of press and view cameras, it seems to me that digital equipment has overwhelming advantages for a 2000 mile hike like the OP proposes. Sometimes we have to sacrifice a little image quality for practical reasons.
    I did carry a digital camera the first time but found myself yearning for film. You’re right that digital is far more practical but since I have an idea what I’m getting into I think I can pull it off.

I did not find a post referring to it; the Crown and Speed Graphics are about the same camera, but the Speed is heavier due to the extra shutter (roll type) in the back. The advantage of the Speed is that you can use lenses that are not in shutters. I have used the rear shutter and they work fine...and the word "Speed" comes from the fast shutter speed the back shutter can reach (1/1000 sec)...faster than lens shutters (max can be 1/125). Just more info to think about!

These cameras came with a big flash that bolted onto the side. Might be advantageous to rig up a way to attach a very small umbrella onto the side -- protect it during the rain and snow images!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    These cameras came with a big flash that bolted onto the side. Might be advantageous to rig up a way to attach a very small umbrella onto the side -- protect it during the rain and snow images!
    That’s a great idea! I’ll certainly see if there’s a way I can manage that!

Novoflex makes an umbrella that attaches directly to a backpack strap. It is also an adjustable length hiking stick and easily converts into a shooting blind with an accessory kit. Since it is silver on one side it can be used as a reflector.