Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a camera to hike 2000+ miles

Re: Help me choose a camera to hike 2000+ miles

Will travel 4x5" 65mm But you need someone to 3D print it. Bring two

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Wista RF, but you would need to use 135mm, 150mm or 180mm lenses, all Nikon btw, for the optimal experience.
    If you don't need movements, maybe the Chroma Snapshot or something like this:https://film.kolve.org/darkroomdiy/w...endly-cameras/
    This answer is a bit confusing. The RF was cammed for those 3 Nikon lenses but service can adjust it for other brands as the flange focal lengths are different.
    The MT can be cammed for lenses from 65 to 360mm and all will have full movement with the MT’s bellows.
    The RF can also use very short lenses but not with the rangefinder and they would need the wide angle bellows. So it is not nearly as versatile as the MT. Neither are Graflexs or other press cameras.

I’d look at any press camera (or technical camera) that can be folded up with a lens inside.

I was surprised that my Master Technika is actually lighter than my Shen Hao field camera. It’s certainly not light, but my experience backpacking we’d usually have 50-60 pound packs, if photography is a big part of trip, sacrifice other items to account for the weight, and get a bunch of 1gallon ziploc bags to protect things from the elements.

To me (a newb in LF land) the biggest issue with LF over 2000 miles, is film holders. They take quite a lot of space, and I don’t think I’d want to take more than 6-8 holders (even 8 seems like it would take up too much space.) so that 16 shots at best, so you’ll need a changing bag, and a storage plan for the film you’ve shot. To me, on a long backpacking trip, that’s too much to go wrong. A bunch rolls of 120 seems like it would be much more manageable.

For durability, ease of repair, access to parts, and “hot swappable” if required, consider a Speed Graphic with a rangefinder.
    Less expensive, battlefield proven, can find them by the dozen on the internet if something happens to the one you’re carrying and need to replace it. Has enough movements for the hike (assume that you’re not going on an architectural highlights tour).

Also, grab a 120 roll film back and a viewfinder mask to match for added flexibility.

I toss my anniversary model Speed Graphic with a towel around it into my rucksack when I go skiing without worry, leaving my Linhof Super T and Wista behind.

Have a blast!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forgot to mention the value of a really clean grafmatic back or two. I carry those exclusively when hiking...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I missed handholdable.

What are you shooting?

Insisting on handheld cameras, for the purposes of landscape which was my assumption, I think is a very bad idea. Even with 400-speed film I would constantly be unable to shoot faster than 1/4 to 1/15 second exposures at typical apertures. Are you going to risk those shutter speeds with 4x5 film?

My Chamonix and CF tripod still weigh less than just the Linhof...

If that is mission-critical then get a 120 folder like the Makina.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Alternatively if you can live without movements and can deal with limited lens choices, one of the 3D-printed handheld cameras like the Mercury would work. I use one with a 47mm XL handheld occasionally. That is not a typical everyday lens though. A 90mm of some variety would work easily enough. Anything longer gets messy. Basically hyperfocal focusing.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post

Insisting on handheld cameras, for the purposes of landscape which was my assumption, I think is a very bad idea. Even with 400-speed film I would constantly be unable to shoot faster than 1/4 second exposures at typical apertures.
    Gotta agree here.
    For a minimal amount of IQ improvement (mostly due to slow shutter speeds), you're carrying a lot more weight with the 4x5 kit.
    A Pentax 67, two lenses, wide/normal, and a ton of 120 film would be my choice. Or a Mamiya 7 if you like RF cameras.
    I'd even consider a Fuji GX680. My modest set-up, with two lenses, two backs and two viewfinders weighs just under 21 pounds including backpack, and that kit can do anything.

Or a Fuji 6x9 - but yes, I'd agree that if handholdability & weight matter, a good medium format RF will often provide a better compromise of quality and ease of use than dragging an LF camera along. The Linhof is less of a monster than many appear to be suggesting, but it's far too much camera for straightforward handheld work where weight is a principle consideration.

I missed handholdable.

What are you shooting?

Insisting on handheld cameras, for the purposes of landscape which was my assumption, I think is a very bad idea. Even with 400-speed film I would constantly be unable to shoot faster than 1/4 to 1/15 second exposures at typical apertures. Are you going to risk those shutter speeds with 4x5 film?

My Chamonix and CF tripod still weigh less than just the Linhof...

Corran,
    my plan is to attempt to document the experience of thruhiking one of america's scenic trails—not so much create a work of landscape photographs though of course I'll make some along the way—but moreso to try and capture the human experience of the trail. Lot's of portraits, environmental and otherwise.