Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lee Filter Hood With Linhof Master Technika?

Re: Lee Filter Hood With Linhof Master Technika?

Hi, thanks for your thoughts and ideas. I agree the TechniKardan is a wonderful camera. However, I bring my Master Technika (2000) with me everywhere along with my 3 lenses (75, 150, 300) and I have everything I need for my style of photography. I love this camera in every area except for this one major challenge. I am still searching for a solution that works for me and I am hopeful that something will present itself.

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    I have used my Master Technikas (Classic and now also a 2000) for several years and have encountered this problem with my Lee filter system NDGs a handful of times when using a lens shorter than 180 or 210mm. Some times I've tilted my MT camera over on its side while using a RRS B55 ballhead, and gotten by with that after a fair amount of finagling to get the NDG and my intended composition in the right places (and properly focused with lens movements). The RRS B55 ballheads are really sturdy, but this maneuver with the MT is taxing for the ballhead. Sometimes, especially if I have needed to use a 75 or 90mm lens on my Master Technika, I was able to drop the bed on my Classic or 2000 enough to allow me to effectively use those Master Technikas without resorting to laying them over on their sides on top of the tripod, as you can drop the bed enough to allow the Lee NDG filters to be adjusted as needed without interfering with the bed of the Technika. However, if you're using a 135 or 150mm lens on the Technika with the Lee filter system, I think you'll need to be prepared to lay the camera over on its side, or (as Bob Salomon suggests) be able to use the tripod mount that is available on the top of the camera under the accessory shoe.

Finally, I also have a Linhof Technikarden 45S camera that I typically take along on my extended LF photography road trips, and it allows one to easily use the Lee filter system without the aforementioned issues for the Master Technika design. There are other threads on this Forum that regale the strongpoints of Linhof's Technikarden 45S design.

Hi, is it possible to cut a Lee filter to the smaller Cokin A size? Then you could use the Cokin A holder on the Technika ... I have the same Technika problem, but in Cokin P size, with Elite filter holders.

Good idea Daniel. I am in the process of trying to figure out if the smaller Cokin A size will fit my needs and then compare the dimensions to the Lee system. I am thinking it may work, but I will circle back and confirm one way or the other. I would be willing to get a Cokin A holder and a couple of the GND filters and dedicate them to this camera if the dimensions work out. I have historically used the Lee Hood and Flter Holder system on all my camreras (8x10, 4x10, 5x7, and my other 4x5), so it has been a really good universal solution up until the Master Technikardan. More to follow soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Casper Lohenstein View Post
    Hi, is it possible to cut a Lee filter to the smaller Cokin A size? Then you could use the Cokin A holder on the Technika ... I have the same Technika problem, but in Cokin P size, with Elite filter holders.

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    Hi, thanks for your thoughts and ideas. I agree the TechniKardan is a wonderful camera. However, I bring my Master Technika (2000) with me everywhere along with my 3 lenses (75, 150, 300) and I have everything I need for my style of photography. I love this camera in every area except for this one major challenge. I am still searching for a solution that works for me and I am hopeful that something will present itself.

LFLarry, I acquired my MT 2000 only in January of this year, in excellent condition, and it has become my new favorite as I probably have taken 95+% of my 4x5 images with my MT Classic over the years. I would sell off my MT Classic, but I like to have a back-up along in my car just in case something happens to sideline my main go-to camera (which incidents I have nearly suffered on past road trips). I like the additional steps of the MT 2000 for dropping the bed when using wide angle lenses, and the improved focusing feature for those WA lenses. I do most of my LF photographing fairly near to my car when I am on extended road trips out to Nat. Parks (etc), or even when I'm around my home town area, so if I encounter a situation where the TK 45S is a better option it is not too difficult to fetch it (and it's in a nice and compact ballistic case). One of the reasons I haven't needed to use the Lee GND filters too much is that I don't often use color film, and so with B&W one can usually compensate with film development. I bought the TK 45S primarily to use in table top still life and interior architectural situations, but haven't started the table top work (in my basement) until just recently as I've had more time around home due to the pandemic. It's all fun, however. 'Enjoy your MT 2000, I wish I could have offered a better suggestion for this frustration with the WA lenses.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    Good idea Daniel. I am in the process of trying to figure out if the smaller Cokin A size will fit my needs and then compare the dimensions to the Lee system. I am thinking it may work, but I will circle back and confirm one way or the other. I would be willing to get a Cokin A holder and a couple of the GND filters and dedicate them to this camera if the dimensions work out. I have historically used the Lee Hood and Flter Holder system on all my camreras (8x10, 4x10, 5x7, and my other 4x5), so it has been a really good universal solution up until the Master Technikardan. More to follow soon.
    To be honest: I probably couldn't distinguish a Lee filter from a Cokin filter if I was presented with two prints ... How about some cheaper Cokin A filters, which you can buy new? I'm flirting with a CNC cut in the original Linhof slide-in lolly-pop filter shape (with handle!) for the "Universal" sun shade.