Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee Filter Hood With Linhof Master Technika?

Re: Lee Filter Hood With Linhof Master Technika?

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    One nice thing about Crown / Speed Graphics is the extra tripod mount on the side. Would be nice to have one on the Linhof but instead it has a handle mount. Of course you could hack it to have that, and maybe some of the newest models have that since they aren't made for handheld use anymore.

90-degree sideways camera = weight distribution problem. Be careful to not knock it over or let the wind take it. Ask me how I know!
    Instead Linhof has a second one on top under the accessory shoe.

Yes but it's not really all that helpful in this situation is it?
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Yes but it's not really all that helpful in this situation is it?
    Never needed to on a Technika, a Wista, a Graflex or a Deardorff.
    I did it with the proper tripod head. Much faster and safer then removing and switching the camera over.

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

I flip the camera to use fall. When using fall, with a GND, usually the filter needs to be higher on the lens to be on the horizon. Bam, same issue initially reported, filter impacting the bed from the other direction. A side tripod mount would make it easier and simpler for using GNDs.

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

I flip the camera to use fall. When using fall, with a GND, usually the filter needs to be higher on the lens to be on the horizon. Bam, same issue initially reported, filter impacting the bed from the other direction. A side tripod mount would make it easier and simpler for using GNDs.
    Then instead of expounding on it here why don’t you take 10 minutes and tell the factory?

Merely answering the question with real-life shooting experience, Bob.

Merely answering the question with real-life shooting experience, Bob.
    Then the factory should welcome your answer.
    But as the Linhof Product and Sales Manager from 1970 till 2014 no one ever complained about not having a side tripod socket.

But then why would John Sexton or Bruce Barnbaum or Kenny Rogers or any of the 1000s of other Technika owners over those years feel they would need one?

That's nice.

I have used my Master Technikas (Classic and now also a 2000) for several years and have encountered this problem with my Lee filter system NDGs a handful of times when using a lens shorter than 180 or 210mm. Some times I've tilted my MT camera over on its side while using a RRS B55 ballhead, and gotten by with that after a fair amount of finagling to get the NDG and my intended composition in the right places (and properly focused with lens movements). The RRS B55 ballheads are really sturdy, but this maneuver with the MT is taxing for the ballhead. Sometimes, especially if I have needed to use a 75 or 90mm lens on my Master Technika, I was able to drop the bed on my Classic or 2000 enough to allow me to effectively use those Master Technikas without resorting to laying them over on their sides on top of the tripod, as you can drop the bed enough to allow the Lee NDG filters to be adjusted as needed without interfering with the bed of the Technika. However, if you're using a 135 or 150mm lens on the Technika with the Lee filter system, I think you'll need to be prepared to lay the camera over on its side, or (as Bob Salomon suggests) be able to use the tripod mount that is available on the top of the camera under the accessory shoe.

Finally, I also have a Linhof Technikarden 45S camera that I typically take along on my extended LF photography road trips, and it allows one to easily use the Lee filter system without the aforementioned issues for the Master Technika design. There are other threads on this Forum that regale the strongpoints of Linhof's Technikarden 45S design.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

This issue is really the last stumbling block for me regarding this camera. When I do landscapes, I typically need soft or hard stop GND filters to balance the foreground and background light appropriately. I have considered just using a screw-on type GND filter to resolve this issue, but that is a compromise and really isn't a 100% solution because you can't control the horizon line like you can with 4x6 filters. I am hopeful a solution will present itself soon.

Thanks

One nice thing about Crown / Speed Graphics is the extra tripod mount on the side. Would be nice to have one on the Linhof but instead it has a handle mount. Of course you could hack it to have that, and maybe some of the newest models have that since they aren't made for handheld use anymore.

90-degree sideways camera = weight distribution problem. Be careful to not knock it over or let the wind take it. Ask me how I know!