Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee Filter Hood With Linhof Master Technika?

Lee Filter Hood With Linhof Master Technika?

Hi, I have a Lee Filter Hood system and I would like to be able to use this with my Linhof Master Technika, but it appears it won't work because the hood system hits the bed of the camera.

I typically use the 150mm standard lens the vast majority of the time.

I may be overlooking an approach or method to get this to work, so I am hopeful someone here in the group can help.

This is important because I frequently use GND filters for landscapes.

Thank you.

Larry

Re: Lee Filter Hood With Linhof Master Technika?

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    Hi, I have a Lee Filter Hood system and I would like to be able to use this with my Linhof Master Technika, but it appears it won't work because the hood system hits the bed of the camera.

I typically use the 150mm standard lens the vast majority of the time.

I may be overlooking an approach or method to get this to work, so I am hopeful someone here in the group can help.

This is important because I frequently use GND filters for landscapes.

Thank you.

Larry
    Have you asked them?

https://www.leefilters.com/

I highly doubt the folks at Lee are that well versed on their filters on uncommon 4x5 cameras!

That said, I can tell you that 4x6 filters are a bear to use on the Linhof for this very reason (and any camera that has a bed). The filters bottom-out on the bed and so you can only put them so low. The only way to make it work is to drop the bed and sometimes that doesn't work either depending on your GND placement.

I don't use Lee's hood personally (just use a darkslide or your hand) so this is is reference to the normal filter holder, but the placement of the filters won't change relative to the lens/bed.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Thanks Corran. I agree, Lee Filters would look at my like I was lost in space asking if their filter hood/holders would work with a Linhof Master Technika!

I really love this camera, but I would really like to be able to use some type of GND filter system on it for my landscapes. I will have to see if a 4x4 GND filter will even physically work, and then to see if a 4x4 2 stop Soft GND is even available.

Can you elaborate a little more on your alternative approach you mentioned (using the dark slide or hand)? I have found that I typically use a 2 stop GND for the sunrise/sunset type landscapes.

Thank you

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I highly doubt the folks at Lee are that well versed on their filters on uncommon 4x5 cameras!

That said, I can tell you that 4x6 filters are a bear to use on the Linhof for this very reason (and any camera that has a bed). The filters bottom-out on the bed and so you can only put them so low. The only way to make it work is to drop the bed and sometimes that doesn't work either depending on your GND placement.

I don't use Lee's hood personally (just use a darkslide or your hand) so this is is reference to the normal filter holder, but the placement of the filters won't change relative to the lens/bed.

You mentioned the hood specifically, so I wasn't sure if you are using the hood to control flare from extraneous light as well or just as a filter holder. I don't use a Lee hood - if I have oblique light hitting the filter/lens, I use my hand or the darkslide to physically shield the lens/filter from light. And assuming the sun isn't in your shot, which precludes the use of a hood anyway, you can be relatively certain your hand/DS isn't in the photo because neither is the sun, if that makes sense.

However, I also have many times used my darkslide as a makeshift GND filter - if you need a 2-stop GND for a 4-second exposure, just put the DS in front of the lens roughly where the edge of the filter should be, and shoot for 3 seconds with the DS waving slightly (to soften the edge) and then pull it away for the last second. It's a little janky but it's worked great for me many times. If you are doing shorter exposures then it does get somewhat impossible though. Since I tend to use 100-speed film and wind isn't usually a massive issue, it works for me if I don't have a GND with me (or, occasionally, I have done it because the light was about to change and I needed to get the shot fast).

Thanks Corran. I will keep that technique in mind for sure. I am going to keep pushing forward to see if I can find a filter solution that will work with this camera. The combo Lee hood and filter holder is a really combo solution, so I am hopeful I can find something that will work for this camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    You mentioned the hood specifically, so I wasn't sure if you are using the hood to control flare from extraneous light as well or just as a filter holder. I don't use a Lee hood - if I have oblique light hitting the filter/lens, I use my hand or the darkslide to physically shield the lens/filter from light. And assuming the sun isn't in your shot, which precludes the use of a hood anyway, you can be relatively certain your hand/DS isn't in the photo because neither is the sun, if that makes sense.

However, I also have many times used my darkslide as a makeshift GND filter - if you need a 2-stop GND for a 4-second exposure, just put the DS in front of the lens roughly where the edge of the filter should be, and shoot for 3 seconds with the DS waving slightly (to soften the edge) and then pull it away for the last second. It's a little janky but it's worked great for me many times. If you are doing shorter exposures then it does get somewhat impossible though. Since I tend to use 100-speed film and wind isn't usually a massive issue, it works for me if I don't have a GND with me (or, occasionally, I have done it because the light was about to change and I needed to get the shot fast).

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    Lee Filters would look at me like I was lost in space asking if their filter hood/holders would work with a Linhof Master Technika!
    Believe it or not, there used to be a gentleman at Lee USA named John Adler who actually was pretty knowledgeable about large format cameras. I haven't spoken with him for years but if he is still there he might be able to help.

Good to know Eric, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Leppanen View Post
    Believe it or not, there used to be a gentleman at Lee USA named John Adler who actually was pretty knowledgeable about large format cameras. I haven't spoken with him for years but if he is still there he might be able to help.

What about the (slightly annoying) approach of turning the camera on it’s side? I don’t know if the bed's arms might still get in the way. That’s already a factory listed way to deal with ultrawides with the bed in frame.

One nice thing about Crown / Speed Graphics is the extra tripod mount on the side. Would be nice to have one on the Linhof but instead it has a handle mount. Of course you could hack it to have that, and maybe some of the newest models have that since they aren't made for handheld use anymore.

90-degree sideways camera = weight distribution problem. Be careful to not knock it over or let the wind take it. Ask me how I know!