Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Should there be a Wet Plate subforum?

Re: Should there be a Wet Plate subforum?

Good to know...
    Tin Can

I bought the 2020 May 22 Version with video

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    I hope you bought the 2019 edition? It’s a much expanded version with vastly more information.
    Tin Can

I have the earlier version, which I bought in 2015.
    Does the expanded 2020 version (the one on Amazon) have a DVD or does it give you access to the online tutorials?

Do you guys remember "The Great LF Wiki" idea/dream of about 2-3 years ago? Where only good, vetted info would be posted, as a grand repository in the sky? Only written by "experts", dedicating their time and life's experience to putting it down for free for anyone? Yeah, I remember, and it died on the vine as I predicted.

To me, that is what a guidebook is for, for wetplate. If you just want to learn the chemistry formulas, the process, and the equipment, buy a guidebook.

If you just want a separate "post wetplate photos" section, that's easy and should have been done 10 years ago.

If you want to have some user question/answers and techniques discusssed for wetplate, I'd have sections on:

1. Equipment needs, cameras and lenses. Making, buying, adapting.
    2. Chemistry, problem solving and techniques to store, make, buy, use
    3. Developing and finishing techniques.
    4. Results, show your work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Does the expanded 2020 version (the one on Amazon) have a DVD or does it give you access to the online tutorials?
    Online tutorials via Vimeo login. You can download copies to your own computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Access to online tutorials

I think the book is print on demand, maybe get it June 5 or earlier
    Tin Can

Too many sub sections, you get loss of engagement (already a big risk on here, very few active members any more). Too few, like just one big "wetplate" section, you get a free for all with no way to keep track. A La, facebook.

Wait....is this thread about "Should there be a wetplate subforum", or about "what guide book should I buy?" - See what I mean? Focus..... If you are answering 99% of ALL posts here, you might want to take a breather.

Agree to all points

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Do you guys remember "The Great LF Wiki" idea/dream of about 2-3 years ago? Where only good, vetted info would be posted, as a grand repository in the sky? Only written by "experts", dedicating their time and life's experience to putting it down for free for anyone? Yeah, I remember, and it died on the vine as I predicted.

To me, that is what a guidebook is for, for wetplate. If you just want to learn the chemistry formulas, the process, and the equipment, buy a guidebook.

If you just want a separate "post wetplate photos" section, that's easy and should have been done 10 years ago.

If you want to have some user question/answers and techniques discusssed for wetplate, I'd have sections on:

Tin Can

Oren inserted 'should'

My original title is dust

Too many sub sections, you get loss of engagement (already a big risk on here, very few active members any more). Too few, like just one big "wetplate" section, you get a free for all with no way to keep track. A La, facebook.

Wait....it this thread about "Should there be a wetplate subforum", or about "what guide book should I buy?" - See what I mean? Focus..... If you are answering 99% of ALL posts here, you might want to take a breather.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Oren inserted 'should'

My original title is dust
    Yeah, the forum question was raised, and I figured we should engage it squarely rather than have it smoulder on in a thread buried in one of the substantive subforums. So please stay focused here on the "whether" and "how" questions re a subforum, and pursue the materials/resources/techniques questions elsewhere.

Clearly spelled out, thanks. It looks like this could amount to a forum-within-a-forum, largely or entirely segregated from the rest of the Forum. Would appreciate thoughts as to whether that is in fact the case, and if so the pros and cons of it.