Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should there be a Wet Plate subforum?

Should there be a Wet Plate subforum?

May as well start a new thread as I don't see one elsewhere...

As Wet Plate is DIY, why not here?

Perhaps the Mods will allow all size plates in this thread

I do plan to shoot from 1/6th plate to as big as i can one far off day
    Tin Can

Re: Wet plate collodion users

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    May as well start a new thread as I don't see one elsewhere...

As Wet Plate is DIY, why not here?

Perhaps the Mods will allow all size plates in this thread

I do plan to shoot from 1/6th plate to as big as i can one far off day
    Question: what is the goal of this thread? Is this meant to serve as a kind of collodion sub-forum? Serious question here. Its unclear to me from your opener what you'd like this to become. :-)

I wonder why we do not have a dedicated thread for users, does this thread belong in LF film processing? Here

I have never made one, but I am ramping up

Discussing gear, chems, tips and images both good and bad could help more people than I

Some of us cannot take a class for a variety of reasons, especially right now

and I see much of my LF gear can be used for wet plate

I

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Question: what is the goal of this thread? Is this meant to serve as a kind of collodion sub-forum? Serious question here. Its unclear to me from your opener what you'd like this to become. :-)
    Tin Can

Do you intend for this thread be devoted to the exploration of wet plate as a novice would experience it?
    A place to share newbie discoveries and mistakes?
    Or a repository of wet plate information for all levels of practitioners?

Seems to me that if its intended to be a lasting repository of technical information, it shouldn't be a single thread, but a distinct section of the forum. But this would be a bit of an anomaly, as the form doesn't currently include sections specific to particular techniques. (IE: there is no specific forum for Cyanotypes, for example)
    I think it would serve us well to have a separate forum here called Alternative Processes, which would include Wet Plate, Albumen Printing, Platinum/Palladium etc. None of these alt processes fits easily into any of the current sub forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Some of us cannot take a class for a variety of reasons, especially right now
    I would recommend you acquire a copy of Quinn Jacobson's book Chemical Pictures, which is now available as a non-limited edition (and as such, is much less expensive). If Quinn doesn't talk about it in his book, then you don't need to know it - he's been very thorough. And besides, with the book are 40+ instructional videos (online access) that demonstrate many of the techniques that a new practitioner has a hard time grasping without seeing it demonstrated. It is very good value, trust me. I can give you a link to the book if you wish.

Paul

Foamer

Seems to me that if its intended to be a lasting repository of technical information, it shouldn't be a single thread, but a distinct section of the forum. But this would be a bit of an anomaly, as the form doesn't currently include sections specific to particular techniques. (IE: there is no specific forum for Cyanotypes, for example)
    I think it would serve us well to have a separate forum here called Alternative Processes, which would include Wet Plate, Albumen Printing, Platinum/Palladium etc. None of these alt processes fits easily into any of the current sub forums.

I agree there should be a separate forum. The interest is there.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Foamer

I would recommend you acquire a copy of Quinn Jacobson's book Chemical Pictures, which is now available as a non-limited edition (and as such, is much less expensive). If Quinn doesn't talk about it in his book, then you don't need to know it - he's been very thorough. And besides, with the book are 40+ instructional videos (online access) that demonstrate many of the techniques that a new practitioner has a hard time grasping without seeing it demonstrated. It is very good value, trust me. I can give you a link to the book if you wish.

Paul

Have not seen the Jacobson book but I'm sure it's good. Another very good one is from Mark Osterman, who runs the workshops at the Eastman Kodak Museum. I have the John Coffer manual "Doer's Guide." It too comes with several DVDs. It and some Youtube videos were all I needed to get started. I bought my kit from Bostick & Sullivan and they are very helpful on the phone when I needed a quick answer. So far I've bought most of my supplies from Bostick & Sullivan, Lund, UV Photographics, in that order.

The best series of wet plate instruction I've seen so far is probably this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msgPl7kWxLI&t=30s

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

Foamer

My favorite guy to watch is the Topshit guy. Knowlegeable AND entertaining! I really like this guy. He's done some nice informative blogs in the past although lately he's kind of gone off rails and is running around naked in the woods. Still fun to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPIe4b3gYVo&t=23s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POEPy88XQGg&t=156s

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria