Thread: Banned email

Lurker

Banned email

"The administrator has banned your email address. You will need to change your email address in order to continue. If you think this is done in error, please click here to contact the administrator."

When I attempt to change my email I get the above message and cannot choose a password for my account. I would like to use my own password and current email as to clear my history. I have no clue why I am banned as I have not broken any forum rules to my knowledge. I have sent numerous email to the moderators for the past week or two with no response. I would like to understand why I have been banned, simple request in my opinion.

Re: Banned email

Afraid we haven't received any messages from you.

You're not banned, but the hotmail.com domain is, as of several years ago - too many problems coming from it. If you PM us an email address on a different domain, we can update your profile and get you a new password.

First, let me say that I understand the challenge that the administrators face. I used to be the administrator of a web site used by a professional society, and faced numerous problems with spurious e-mails originating at domains such as hotmail, yahoo, and even google. And today, it seems that a disproportionate share of the junk that ends up in my spam folder still originates in those domains.

But the problem here is that banning a person based on the domain through which he gets e-mail unfairly establishes guilt by association - not everyone is in a position to have access to e-mail through a respected, selective domain, and for those of us who are retired, the choice may be limited to either one of the freebie domains that happen to also attract the jerks who originate spam, or opting to not have e-mail at all.

I fully agree that individuals who engage in inappropriate behavior should be banned. But I think its wrong to ban individuals based solely on the domain through which they get e-mail service.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie Powell View Post
    But the problem here is that banning a person based on the domain through which he gets e-mail unfairly establishes guilt by association - not everyone is in a position to have access to e-mail through a respected, selective domain, and for those of us who are retired, the choice may be limited to either one of the freebie domains that happen to also attract the jerks who originate spam, or opting to not have e-mail at all.
    Louie: happily, there are other freebie domains, including gmail, that don't cause us the amount of grief that hotmail has caused. We're sorry about the inconvenience for the occasional user that has built his or her email life around hotmail, but setting up an account in a different freebie domain for special purposes is not difficult and costs only a few moments of one's time.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Afraid we haven't received any messages from you.

You're not banned, but the hotmail.com domain is, as of several years ago - too many problems coming from it. If you PM us an email address on a different domain, we can update your profile and get you a new password.
    Then the issue on your side because I used both the FAQ link and the link provided by error message as reference above to message the moderators on multiple occasions, as per your written instructions and error message. No other forums have had any issues with hotmail or banned the domain, could this also be an issue on your side.

Is only hotmail the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by TXFZ1 View Post
    Then the issue on your side because I used both the FAQ link and the link provided by error message as reference above to message the moderators on multiple occasions, as per your written instructions and error message.
    Apologies for this, will follow up with our server guru to try to figure out what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by TXFZ1 View Post
    No other forums have had any issues with hotmail or banned the domain, could this also be an issue on your side. Is only hotmail the issue?
    It was an onslaught of spammers, not email trouble, that got hotmail banned here. There are other domains that are banned here as well, but the others are not so well known. Hotmail is the only one of the big names in free email that has caused us that extent of trouble.