Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sinar P2 Bright screen w/ Fresenl replaced with OEM Sinar GG

Re: Sinar P2 Bright screen w/ Fresenl replaced with OEM Sinar GG

Aftermarket fresnel is not gonna work with the OEM Sinar ground glass. The Sinar fresnel clips in at the long end of the viewing side of the GG.

There should be no shims with the Sinar OEM ground glass to it's seating surface. Direct fit to the precision machined flats with the clips held in place by screws.

Have OEM Sinar frensel for both 4x5 & 5x7 when these cameras were purchased used. They were the first item to be removed before the camera was check and prepped for being used. Over the decades, just never found the fresnel to be much of a focusing aid. It tends to be a focusing and viewing impediment with wide angle lenses.

The far more important GG focusing tool is a loupe.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Aftermarket fresnel is not gonna work with the OEM Sinar ground glass. The Sinar fresnel clips in at the long end of the viewing side of the GG.

There should be no shims with the Sinar OEM ground glass to it's seating surface. Direct fit to the precision machined flats with the clips held in place by screws.

Have OEM Sinar frensel for both 4x5 & 5x7 when these cameras were purchased used. They were the first item to be removed before the camera was check and prepped for being used. Over the decades, just never found the fresnel to be much of a focusing aid. It tends to be a focusing and viewing impediment with wide angle lenses.

The far more important GG focusing tool is a loupe.

Bernice
    Thanks for the confermation on the OEM GG mounting. I'm going to try it like that and see how I like it.

Cheers,

Ned

Judging by your first photo, to me it looks like the item on the left is a GG/fresnel and the item on the right is a cover glass. Does the item on the right have circular grooves? And what is the text on it?

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    Judging by your first photo, to me it looks like the item on the left is a GG/fresnel and the item on the right is a cover glass. Does the item on the right have circular grooves? And what is the text on it?

Kumar
    You mean the second photo... The glass on the left is the fresnel, to the right of that is the BrighScreen GG. It says BrightScreen on it.

Sorry, yes, the second photo.

Can you focus using only the item on the left, without installing the other item?

Kumar

FYI,

Sinar OEM 4x5 ground glass mounting. This one is a meter back for P2, with the plastic GG retainers. Earlier ones have metal retainers. Function and mount is essentially the same.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sinar 4x5 meter back.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	204018

No shims between the film holder frame machined surfaces to GG.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sinar GG clips.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	204019

Bernice

Kumar
    I agree. the Bright Screen labelled glass is possibly just a cover screen laid over the Fresnel/ GG sandwich. The Bright Screen labelled glass is just too clear to be a GG.
    Last edited by cowanw; 23-May-2020 at 12:58.

Is your Brightscreen a sandwich of a focusing screen and fresnel? If you're using an OEM GG, you need an OEM fresnel.

Kumar
    You were right on this one. I didn't realize that it was a sandwich... and the brightscreen labeled glass is just a clear cover with the grid lines taped onto it.

Cheers,

Ned