Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: E-Bay and PayPal: What should I know?

Re: E-Bay and PayPal: What should I know?

Poor change. I'll continue to require signatures for anything over $250 personally.

Years ago a Nikkor-M 450mm was never received. Seller shipped it with no tracking. His loss, had to eat the whole $600 I think it was. Of course that's a whole other issue, not sending it w/ tracking, but with signature I can at least feel like it's not going to get stolen off someone's porch.

I'll respectfully disagree with your comment about "not giving you any added protection," due to that porch issue. Many times when I've sold to major metropolitan areas, signature is expressly requested...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Poor change. I'll continue to require signatures for anything over $250 personally.

Years ago a Nikkor-M 450mm was never received. Seller shipped it with no tracking. His loss, had to eat the whole $600 I think it was. Of course that's a whole other issue, not sending it w/ tracking, but with signature I can at least feel like it's not going to get stolen off someone's porch.

I'll respectfully disagree with your comment about "not giving you any added protection," due to that porch issue. Many times when I've sold to major metropolitan areas, signature is expressly requested...
    It’s fine if the buyer requests it (and pays for it). But that protects the buyer from “porch pirates”; it does nothing for the seller. Once the tracking number shows delivery on a sub-$750 sale, the buyer won’t win a “not received” case.

The one issue I ever had as a buyer was a $249.99 sale of a Nikon flash unit. It was a good price - not insane, and I snagged it. Never received, tracking number just said "delivered." Some weird stuff after that happened but long story short I was told I was scammed through this very issue.

So now, scammers can sell up to $749.99 items all day, ship a postcard or something with tracking number to the McDonald's down the street so you have a tracking showing "Delivered" in your zip code, and there's no recourse for the buyer.

I like signature confirmation because you can see who signed for it at least. I'll be honest I haven't kept up with things lately, and the few sales I've done in recent times were for items north of that $750 level anyway so I must've missed this change. Gotta be wary.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I like signature confirmation because you can see who signed for it at least.
    Not so much now, as carriers have special procedures because of covid-19 and sometimes are even stretching those a bit. USPS allows the carrier to sign after talking with the recipient from a distance, but in recent days I've observed carriers, both USPS and FedEx, just dropping the package and checking it off on their tablets without verifying who is picking it up.

Ah yes. The new normal.

Amazon sometimes takes video of them delivering the package onto my porch. I can imagine a similar approach perhaps - Video Delivery Confirmation?

Yeah, it was pretty spooky recently when for the first time, as I was sitting at the computer upstairs, an email popped into my inbox from Amazon telling me a package had just been delivered, with a link to a snapshot showing it sitting by my front door.

CraigsList?

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    I wish there was another marketplace to post stuff, as a seller doing thing right, you are at a disadvantage (and the bottom of the pile, while handling the greatest risk...
    Steve K

I sell on ebay, thay are actually taking 10.79% on both sale item AND shipping. BIN items are listed until sold or removed, and they charge you for renewals which are now automatic(no longer have specified duration). Paypal account must be linked, here's what I do. I have a passbook savings account linked to Paypal (mandatory bank account) at a different bank than I use for my personal accounts, and transfer funds from PP to the passbook account, then manually remove funds and walk them over to my regular bank. This keeps PP or ebay from taking your money before you have any chance of disputing any actions initiated by disreputable buyers (I've had a couple). I only keep enough money in PP to cover fees once I get my statement.
    You'll want to build in any fees with your sale prices, and if you charge extra for shipping, you definitely need to build in the ebay fees with that(example: $15.05 medium flat rate box PLUS 11% for ebay Plus 5% for PP fee and shipping rounds up to $17.50 for that box). Yes, Paypal charges for collecting shipping fees. Most times I offer BIN with shipping included, and my price reflects actual cost of shipping plus sites fee of 11%. Now you know why things cost as much as they do.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    I sell on ebay, thay are actually taking 10.79% on both sale item AND shipping. BIN items are listed until sold or removed, and they charge you for renewals which are now automatic(no longer have specified duration). Paypal account must be linked, here's what I do. I have a passbook savings account linked to Paypal (mandatory bank account) at a different bank than I use for my personal accounts, and transfer funds from PP to the passbook account, then manually remove funds and walk them over to my regular bank. This keeps PP or ebay from taking your money before you have any chance of disputing any actions initiated by disreputable buyers (I've had a couple). I only keep enough money in PP to cover fees once I get my statement.
    You'll want to build in any fees with your sale prices, and if you charge extra for shipping, you definitely need to build in the ebay fees with that(example: $15.05 medium flat rate box PLUS 11% for ebay Plus 5% for PP fee and shipping rounds up to $17.50 for that box). Yes, Paypal charges for collecting shipping fees. Most times I offer BIN with shipping included, and my price reflects actual cost of shipping plus sites fee of 11%. Now you know why things cost as much as they do.
    10.79%? All the eBay sellers I know are being charged 10.00% (except the ones who list in categories with a lower %, and the ones in eBay's doghouse who are paying 14%).

Paypal charges 2.9% + 30 cents. And yes, they charge that on what the buyer pays you for shipping. Why wouldn't they? They're transferring the full payment for you. Did you know you're paying the PayPal fee on the buyer's sales tax also?

You must list quite a few items if you're being charged for renewals; unless you subscribe to a store, the first 50 items/month are listed at no charge.

The most important thing from a seller perspective was alluded to, but not specifically stated: When you sell an item listed as "used" in most categories, you are guaranteeing that it works. So make sure it does. You can read the specifics on the ebay site. There is no way to say "probably works". One pertinent exception is if you're selling something in the "vintage" category.

Lately, I've found Facebook groups as good or better for selling.