Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aperture indicator not aligned

Re: Aperture indicator not aligned

Took a closer look at one of my Fujinon W's today, and it has the same "issue"-- if you look through the front lens with the shutter open, you can see the diaphragm opens to the diameter of the lens element at f/5.6. But the aperture lever has some further travel, allowing the blades to retract farther. The lens, though, is the limiting factor.

So on mine, f/5.6 is fully open for the lens, but not fully open for the shutter body.

Re: Aperture indicator not aligned

Quote Originally Posted by grat View Post
    Took a closer look at one of my Fujinon W's today, and it has the same "issue"-- if you look through the front lens with the shutter open, you can see the diaphragm opens to the diameter of the lens element at f/5.6. But the aperture lever has some further travel, allowing the blades to retract farther. The lens, though, is the limiting factor.

So on mine, f/5.6 is fully open for the lens, but not fully open for the shutter body.
    This is not unusual. A given shutter can be used for different lenses, so the largest stop opening can exceed the lens diameter on the shorter-focal length, or smaller f-stop lenses. Most if not all of my lenses have excess travel, unless there is a screw or something to stop the lever. I have one lens, an S-K Super Angulon 121mm f8, in a Synchro-Compur shutter, with an f-stop scale that goes to f5.6 -- clearly wrong. But 5.6 equals the lens opening, so f5.6 is actually f8, f8 is actually f11, and so on. I checked this using entrance-pupil measurements and exposure readings on the ground glass (plus my color transparencies look good exposure-wise too). I just taped a little label on the lens board to remind me of the error, along with shutter speed corrections. I use this lens a lot.

Used lenses are worth checking when things don't look right.