Thread: Anyone using Robus tripod 5570 for 4x5 ...opinions?

Anyone using Robus tripod 5570 for 4x5 ...opinions?

I’m 6’6” with a problematic back...plus 73 yrs of age...just beginning to look for a taller tripod to use with my new Chamonix 4x5. Is anyone using this tripod for LF ? Reviews on B&H have been very favorable , however most are using DSLR larger cameras.
    Thanks for any insights , thoughts or suggestions.
    Gary P
    Gary Pikarsky

Re: Anyone using Robus tripod 5570 for 4x5 ...opinions?

I do not own it but am in the same market. Specs look nice but the there are a couple of things to consider. The spider has only the plate bolt threading in contact with your head so it could potentially rotate while walking with camera mounted or even twist in the wind, and no padding so metal to wood might leave a mark. I am also not sure about the split spider design for rapid replacement of the mounting plate, it seems like a weak point to me if you forget to tighten it down. Also is the weight a factor once you add a 3way or large ball head.

I am comparing it to the FLM CP30-L4 II or the CP34. Their mounting plate has 3 nylon pressure bolts in addition to the mounting plate bolt, and are a bit lighter.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

The FLMs measure pretty well at the Center Column:

https://thecentercolumn.com/rankings...ipod-rankings/

I bit the bullet and got a CP38-L4 II (I already have a Gitzo traveler for lighter duty needs). It’s very nice, an equivalent a Gitzo or RRS is about 50% more money for what I’d consider marginal improvements. The NA distributor (Ari) is a member here.

Thanks for the comments....I am now considering the FLM, Berlebach and another Carbon fiber tripod suggested by the Center Column .
    Gary Pikarsky

I'll throw out a curve ball for a fellow big man: if you've ever been "Sinar-curious," I've found that the combination of a pan/tilt head and the monorail/focusing bench easily adds a foot or so to the proceedings. If you find yourself setting up on slopes a lot (as I do here in East Tennessee) it might do to play around with a Sinar Norma for some applications.

gphoto120 - what did you end up with? FLM seems to be sold out everywhere. I assume the pandemic has slowed their production and shipping.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    FLM seems to be sold out everywhere. I assume the pandemic has slowed their production and shipping.
    It's slowed down shipping and passage through Customs. I've had some shipments languishing in Customs for three weeks now as shipping companies struggle to keep up with volumes. Never seen anything like it.
    Our production hasn't stopped.

I don't have a Robus tripod, but I did recently buy one of their monopods. It's quality impresses me, and it's functionality is great. For example, unlike my admittedly older Gitzo carbon fiber tripods, the Robus allows you to open all of the locks at once with one simple hand motion.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    gphoto120 - what did you end up with? FLM seems to be sold out everywhere. I assume the pandemic has slowed their production and shipping.
    I ordered a cp-34 series FLM tripod from Ari after researching just about every tripod at that price point. It just shipped this weekend! Ari has been wonderful to work with....he answered all my questions within hours !
    Gary Pikarsky