Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Collodion websites closed

Foamer

Re: Collodion websites closed

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    I'm not sure how I would "start a forum here". There is 16 years of content, uploaded plates, and an entire directory structure that isn't consistent with this LF site. I need a place where I can put it as an archive of all that expertise and guidance. I'm thinking it needs to be free to host, and comments disabled. Otherwise, I would have just paid to keep running it where Quinn had it, and paid the yearly fee. He got out because no one want's to pony up, but everyone likes free content and help.

I'm not thinking of transferring previous content here but rather starting a new forum. I think it would drive more activity to LF Forums here in general.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    There is 16 years of content, uploaded plates, and an entire directory structure...
    Garrett, how many MB of data is it, all told?

Another question, is how much money does it take to maintain a forum for 20 years at a time

Which is one generation and way farther than any of us can see into the future

of course free moderation is a huge cost saver
    Tin Can

Hi Oren, it is 1.7 GB. Tin Can, I don't understand your question, unless it's some kind of rhetorical statement. Then I still don't understand it.

I was trying to figure out if we all pitch in some money, we could have enough to pay for 20 years of hosting

Oren is onto something

I think
    Tin Can

George Sheils

Garrett et al, I'm so sorry to hear that collodion website is no more. I know how you feel. As an ordinary member I contributed quite a bit to the pinhole website f295.org until it folded a number of years back. It was devastating for me as I genuinely felt it was such a community and when it was gone it was almost like a bereavement. I know that sounds a bit stupid but you probably know what I mean. While I understand the effort it takes to finance, manage and moderate a forum there is also a huge time and effort input from the members of such fora which just disappears into the ether when a site closes down.

Apart from being disappointing, it's also very demotivating as I decided never again to put quite so much effort into posting on other fora as I did on f295, because one never knows when a site will fold.
    I'd rather spend the time making pictures.

Regards,
    George.

Quote Originally Posted by George E. Sheils View Post
    Apart from being disappointing, it's also very demotivating as I decided never again to put quite so much effort into posting on other fora as I did on f295, because one never knows when a site will fold.
    I'd rather spend the time making pictures.

Regards,
    George.
    George, I completely understand your response, and empathize with you. After 20+ years contributing content to various presences on the Internet, I've come to realize that the WWW is NOT a great place to permanently archive anything of value. If any body of information is to have a life beyond the fairly short shelf life of a web site, it has to go elsewhere: into print, or some other form of physical storage. Once upon a time I wrote vast amounts for my own site and others, only to have the service supporting it retired (Google is often to blame for the early death of a vast number of resources: once Big G decides it is no longer interested in some technology, then its gone). I will no longer put my time and energy into WWW resources anymore, at least not on that scale. Its too disheartening to watch all that work vanish when it is decided its no longer worth supporting.

Which is not to say I don't understand why Quinn pulled the plug on his forum: it had a lot of excellent information archived on it, but it had become so rarely used (sometimes months went by without a single post) as Farcebook seduced so many people into moving their attention there. Such a shame - Facebook is the worst place to put information that has long term value: its all just water flowing downstream, lost in minutes.

George Sheils

I agree with all that you have said, Paul. It’s a hard lesson we have had to learn about the impermanence of the World Wide Web. ��

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Maybe the most appropriate thing to do is start a new collodion forum. On Myspace.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Maybe the most appropriate thing to do is start a new collodion forum. On Myspace.

I would contribute.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!