Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Which lenses did Carleton Watkins use in 1861 for his mammoth plate camera

Re: Which lenses did Carleton Watkins use in 1861 for his mammoth plate camera

Since Mr. Watkins' studio, containing most of his photographs (and presumably records) was destroyed in the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, you may have great difficulty finding much more information.
    Curses and imprecations upon all authors who fail to properly footnote, and do not provide proper references!
    We'll never know what f/stop he used either, more's the pity.

Re: Which lenses did Carleton Watkins use in 1861 for his mammoth plate camera

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Curses and imprecations upon all authors who fail to properly footnote, and do not provide proper references!
    We'll never know what f/stop he used either, more's the pity.
    Creating metadata the old way was time consuming and apart from location and photographer, often deemed irrelevant!

Very occasionally I have come across an absolute confirmation about a specific lens being used for a specific photo - both Frances Bedford (who also said that his 5/8" stop was best for this photo ) and Samuel Bourne have actually stated that they used a Grubb C lens for specific and identifiable images which still exist. I have gleaned this from digitised copies of the contemorary British photographic press and I was hopeful that the USA press of the time might just have a reference or two about Carleton. I am aware that he used a Globe lens but not from when and it is the tracking down of the source of the suggestion that he used a Grubb C lens which is proving difficult.