Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 65mm lens comparison

(Shrek)

Re: 65mm lens comparison

Quote Originally Posted by JimboWalker View Post
    Thanks for all the snarky responses. Since you know it all, I will trust myself.
    Not trying to rain on your parade. I spent years looking longingly at these since I wanted something wider than 90mm on 4x5, before finally buying both a SA 65/5.6 and a Fujinon-W 75/5.6 within a month of each other (got a great deal on the 65 after buying the 75). I had to make a recessed lens board to use them, so I hadn't had a chance to try the Fujinon-W 75mm before buying the SA 65mm. I had to buy a low-profile filter holder after my first outing. And in the end, I could not get a good image from the 65, and ended up with vignetting on more than half my images no matter how careful I was. But no issues whatsoever using the 75mm, that one lives in my camera bag now.

I can't tell them apart just from image quality, they're pretty much identical in practise for B&W, just about the same size, identical shutters, etc. I would buy on condition/price if I had to buy another, from any of the big lens makers. Unless I needed the extra stop from the Nikon f4.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    Not trying to rain on your parade. I spent years looking longingly at these since I wanted something wider than 90mm on 4x5, before finally buying both a SA 65/5.6 and a Fujinon-W 75/5.6 within a month of each other (got a great deal on the 65 after buying the 75). I had to make a recessed lens board to use them, so I hadn't had a chance to try the Fujinon-W 75mm before buying the SA 65mm. I had to buy a low-profile filter holder after my first outing. And in the end, I could not get a good image from the 65, and ended up with vignetting on more than half my images no matter how careful I was. But no issues whatsoever using the 75mm, that one lives in my camera bag now.

I can't tell them apart just from image quality, they're pretty much identical in practise for B&W, just about the same size, identical shutters, etc. I would buy on condition/price if I had to buy another, from any of the big lens makers. Unless I needed the extra stop from the Nikon f4.
    I have the Nikon 65 mm 4.0. Very good, but tricky to use on a Toyo 45AII.
    It is mounted on a 1" depression wide angle board with Toyo's wide angle cable release adapter and the aperture/shutter speed controls are difficult to reach, if you have thicker than average fingers.
    The main optical problem is to avoid getting the camera bed in the picture.

Another photographer, also a member of this forum picked up a Nikon 65mm and upon seeing the images and what it could do, I decided a 65mm lens would be a nice fit for my kind of photography. This forum member also lives in my home town and I have looked at his GG with his Nikon 65mm lens. That is the only experience I have with the Nikon 65mm lens, but I have seen some of his images and they are different from mine mainly because we are different photographers.

I ended up with the Fujinon SWD f/5.6 65mm lens, it is terrific. With regard to the differences between a Nikon or Fujinon version, for what I do I don't think any small differences that there may be, would make any practical difference.

What I did do that made a huge difference, was to pick up a 67mm Heliopan centre graduated filter, enormous difference. From the day I picked that filter up, my 65mm lens has been a most useful tool; I cannot envisage ever useing the 65mm focal length without a centre filter. Unless that is, I wish to make use of the fall off, which is quite real and pronounced. I use my 65mm lens quite a lot, more than I thought I would.

This was taken with the Fujnon 65mm and centre filter; if you view the image on its own, you may get a better appreciation of what 65mm looks like. Looking through the fence, it looks as though the centre is lighter, it is, but not because of the lens or graduated centre filter; that was how the light was.

Look at the sky across the top of the image, it is virtually constant across the entire frame; this is the graduated centre filter doing its magic.

The bottom and top of the negative have had a slight cropping, but the width is edge to edge of the negative. The lens was approximately 500mm from the fence wire in the foreground.

Unfortunately on this forum when I upload anything it is reduced to a thumbnail size and when enlarged it is still quite small.

Mick.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	150108_Diamantina_NP_Bronco_Yard_On_Circuit_Track_65_Centre_Filter_FP4+_1140hr_004_Web.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	203783

It should. My 90mm Grandagon and my Fuji 75mm SWD fit.

Thanks! This what I needed to know! I think I will hold off on investing in a 65mm just now. I was hoping to hear that the fall off would be more acceptable with the F4 or 5.6 lenses. I cannot spend $360 for the lens and then another $200 for a center filter for a lens I my not need very often. My Fuji 75mm SWD works fine for me now. The Fuji is very sharp and I see VERY Little fall off.

As far as coverage, here is my 5x7 65mm rig
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/michae...posted-public/

And the results
    And

I guess someone with a ruler could figure out what's acceptable for them.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Quote Originally Posted by JimboWalker View Post
    My Fuji 75mm SWD works fine for me now. The Fuji is very sharp and I see VERY Little fall off.
    Um, er, ah, with a 75 mm lens centered on the gate the corners of 4x5 will be 2 stops down from the center. Decentering movements will darken the corners shifted away from more. Some images can stand this, others can't.

I have three Schneder 65mm f/8 lenses, and "Schneider Center Filter for 65mm F8 SA"

I think I paid $200 for the filter; since you have the lens you might consider this way?
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

I would go for the filter, but so far, impossible to find.

Ok . This is the one and only image I have shot with my Fuji 75mm SWD f5.6. This is a straight scan from my Epson 4990 except for a little contrast adjustment. The foreground is in shadow and beyond the gate at the end of the brick walkway is full sunlight. I am pleased with the rendition of this situation, but maybe I would not want to shoot an evenly lit wall . I do not see 2 stops down from center. This was centered on the gate.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	75mm vuescan-3 copy Email.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	203812