Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 65mm lens comparison

65mm lens comparison

OK! I am going to bite the bullet and buy a 65mm lens for 4x5 that is better than the SK 65mm f8 that I have now. Any comparisons between the Fuji 65mm SWD f 5.6 and the Nikon 65mm f4? I have compared specs on both, but would like real experience on issues like exposer fall off, etc. I will probably seldom use this focal length, but would like to have the best. Thanks!!

Re: 65mm lens comparison

Never had a 65mm f/5.6 Fuji SWD, but previously had a 65mm f/5.6 Super Angulon. Then came upon a 65mm f/4 Nikkor at a price that I had a hard time of passing up on. The f/4 optic was only one stop faster than the f/5.6 optic, but in the field that additional one stop made a huge difference for me. I found the f/4 optic much easier to focus to a very noticeable degree.

What about actual optical performance? I am mostly curious about exposure fall off and coverage. I will be using primarily on a Pacemaker Graphic so movements are very limited. If necessary, I will mount on a Calumet Wide Angle body.

Quote Originally Posted by JimboWalker View Post
    What about actual optical performance? I am mostly curious about exposure fall off and coverage. I will be using primarily on a Pacemaker Graphic so movements are very limited. If necessary, I will mount on a Calumet Wide Angle body.
    If you are concerned with fall off then why are you looking at lenses that don’t have center filter for them?

My experience with 65mm on 4x5" format view camera is that resolution is limited by how perfectly the detents for the standards can be set. A fraction of a millimeter off and one side of the horizon is always going to be slightly out of focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    If you are concerned with fall off then why are you looking at lenses that don’t have center filter for them?
    Oh, come on, Bob. Although Nikon and Fuji didn't make center filters for their w/a lenses, there are Rodenstock and Schneider CFs that do well on them.

Jimbo, use the list to find manufacturers' catalog and look up their coverage claims. And use it to find my article on center filters.

(Shrek)

My experience with 65mm (SA 65/5.6) is that I now leave it on a shelf at home.

Thanks for all the snarky responses. Since you know it all, I will trust myself.

I used a 65mm f8 Fujinon W extensively on a TRF Crown. It can fold up in the case. I placed the infinity stops on the inner rails behind the front standard and cut a RF cam for it. I used a 20mm Russian 35mm camera viewfinder for 4x5 and put the Graphic Wide angle attachment in the cameras viewfinder for 6X9 roll film. The 65mm f8 Fujinon is very sharp and uses 52mm filters.

Will the f4 Nikkor's rear component fit through the hole behind a Pacemaker board and/or fit inside the bellows?
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear