Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D lion & Cypress_B&W.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	203946

Bernice

Re: 65mm lens comparison

Norma Handy Stuff 3 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I found another use for the 65mm F8 Super Angulon. I built this Norma Handy 4x5 camera from original Norma parts (65mm F8 SA lens cone/board and attached SA 65/8 helical are Norma products) and some cobbled together others. I need to get out and use this BTW 65mm F8 SA Center Filter is attached to the neckstrap. Strap lugs from Pentax 6x7. Optical finder is 43mm Mamiya 7 and works great. Actually Sinar did not start Handy production until after the Norma era. This is the camera that they should have produced. For XMAS I bought myself a couple more 4x5 Graphmatics, this is the way to use this Baby. It DOES attract a lot of attention............

I have three 65mm SA F8s and once you understand their limitations they are quite usuable and not expensive.

First test 4x5 Sinar Norma Handy 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is some very old 4x5 HP5 (not +) processed for a very long time in straight Acufine. No center filter.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Norma Handy Stuff 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Hyeprfocal chart attached to back of the Graflex XL Handgrip, also favored by Sinar for the Normas at the time.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

I wonder if for most applications the differences between well-executed photos made using the various 8-element (f/4 or f/5.6) 65mm wides would be particularly noticeable. I have a 65mm f/5.6 Super Angulon, and the only advantage it has over the f/8 is coverage (and for 4x5, that advantage is important). But the 65/8, within its coverage, is very sharp indeed. It's only flaws, besides dark focusing, are marginal 4x5 coverage and the unserviceable Compur 00 shutter. I ended up mounting it on a fixed-focus Travelwide--f/16 or 22 and be there. But the 5.6 works fine with 4x5, and with the Maxwell focus screen I use on my Sinar, is only moderately challenging to focus in the corners. A tilting loupe and a really good focus hood will be most valuable with lenses that short.

As to why people gravitate to longer lenses for large format, it may simply be that with a hand-held camera, we can easily fiddle with the highly-critical aiming to get it right, while futzing with a view camera and being able to see the ground glass well enough to really control aim is somewhat of a pain in the rear.

Rick "whose time required to adjust movements and position seem to be inversely proportional to focal length" Denney

Even though I started all this conversation, I actually prefer longer lenses! My favorite lens on my 4x5 is a 180mm. I many times go to my 360mm. I also find that I shoot in vertical format most. Odd for a 65mm I'm sure. I have a Nikon 65mm f4 coming soon and am looking forward to seeing in a new way! After I have the 65mm, I will have 12 lenses spanning from 65mm to 360mm. I think all these lenses may be a hobby replacement for my model car kits?

(Shrek)

If you have an itch to try it, scratch it. You never know how you're going to like something until you do. Some people love ultra-wides and use practically nothing else. I've shot wildlife with a small format fisheye. I'm keeping my SA 65/5.6 because like several people on this thread, I hope to build a hand-held ultra-wide camera some day.

Just received my Nikkor 65mm f4 today!!! Wonderful condition. Works well the Pacemaker . Can't wait to shoot it and see what happens. I will be getting rid of my Super-Angulon 65mm f8 to help pay for the Nikon. I'll try local Craigslist first and see what happens.

Wonderful set up!!