Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tripod "max load" meaning

Re: Tripod "max load" meaning

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    There's clearly a pattern here. All the experienced people (i.e. those who have had camera + tripod fall over) don't use tripods at their stated max. We want considerably more than that. In addition to the weight of the tripod, there's also the force the wind etc. puts on the big surface area of a camera. And the torque of a heavy lens sticking out from the center of the tripod. etc.

Plus the weight you apply when adjusting the camera.

Kent in SD

If the tripod falls over you do not have the legs far enough apart nor facing the right way. If you often photograph in windy condition near cliffs, a bit of rope and a spike may be worth the extra pack weight. If you carry an adjustable hiking stick it can become a 4th leg as needed and or lens support.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

excellent information

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    If you carry an adjustable hiking stick it can become a 4th leg as needed and or lens support.
    I use a monopod attached in the front end of the cambo 8x10, after displacing camera weight a bit forward from the head.

To check tripod steadiness we may place a toy laser pointer in the front standard pointing far enough, this gives information about the real steadiness in windy conditions and it tells how much we have to wait after an operation in the camera like inserting the holder or removing the dark slide, that time may be shorter than sometimes adviced, but the laser tells he reality. We may use the laser to learn how our setup behaves, not necessary to use it always, of course, presently I only use it when having a doubt in windy conditions.

You guys are AWESOME!!! I didn't think I'd get this much information! Kinda information overload actually! Lots to thing about now
    Stay safe everyone!
    --

Also weight values may not account for a camera front loaded with a lens hanging out front on a bed already extended.
    https://thecentercolumn.com/2019/10/...e-meaningless/

I know that our (FLM) tripod testing makes significant use of vibration, and Dave at The Centre Column also likes to use that as an important metric.
    If a tripod is rated for 50 pounds, then it's likely that somewhere around 100 pounds the weight of the load will cause vibration that cannot be adequately absorbed by the tripod.
    I'm greatly over-simplifying it, but that's the general idea.

Now, you could probably put 250 pounds on the same tripod and the weight would be supported, i.e., the tripod wouldn't collapse.
    This difference is one reason for the misunderstanding about load capacities.

Pere, I have gone to using a small tripod in front of my #4 Gitzo tripod for the same reason - in front of my Calumet C-1 8x10 (or Linhof Technikardan) mounted on tripod if there is much extension, wind, or slow shutter speed etc. I have a survey lazer and set it on top of the camera aimed against a wall 20 feet away - there is movement if taped for a period of 10 seconds or more! Movement in the tripod heads is most common - they seem to be the weakest link. I have tested my Gitzo PL5. I don't use center columns anymore for large format.
    Last edited by Robert Opheim; 20-May-2020 at 16:06. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Opheim View Post
    Pere, I have gone to using a small tripod in front of my #4 Gitzo tripod for the same reason - in front of my Calumet C-1 8x10 (or Linhof Technikardan) mounted on tripod if there is much extension, wind, or slow shutter speed etc. I have a survey lazer and set it on top of the camera aimed against a wall 20 feet away - there is movement if taped for a period of 10 seconds or more! Movement in the tripod heads is most common - they seem to be the weakest link. I have tested my Gitzo PL5. I don't use center columns anymore for large format.
    When hiking I won't even use a head with my 8x10. I mean tripod head
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Opheim View Post
    Movement in the tripod heads is most common - they seem to be the weakest link. I have tested my Gitzo PL5. I don't use center columns anymore for large format.

Haven't tested mine, but the Ries heads look and feel very, very solid. There's a 4 inch diameter contact surface between it and the tripod crown. The entire connection between camera and tripod seem very robust. This is no ball head.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Drew Wiley

The headless Horseman knew what he was doing all along.