Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Which State is the Best State for Landscape Photographers to Live?

Re: Which State is the Best State for Landscape Photographers to Live?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Scyg - like everything has already been taken? and in the same manner? Might as well roll up into a big ball and die, my, my.
    Now I didn't say that, did I? I live in Chicago, one of the most famously photographed cities in the country, if not the world. If I thought that, I'd never take my camera out, and somehow I still do.
    Your and Vaughn's perspectives on Yosemite definitely gave me something to think about. I only visited it once, decades ago, but what I saw was stunning even without venturing too far from the tourist areas. I could easily see myself spending a lot of time there, just for the experience of it, whether taking pictures or not, so I'm definitely not judging people who do. My original comment was about whether a landscape photographer would be better off finding their own space rather than retreading the same ground (physically) as earlier artists, and certainly wasn't meant to denigrate the work of those who choose to photograph often photographed places.

Quote Originally Posted by Scyg View Post
    My original comment was about whether a landscape photographer would be better off finding their own space rather than retreading the same ground (physically) as earlier artists, and certainly wasn't meant to denigrate the work of those who choose to photograph often photographed places.
    Understood, and a good question. And one that gives me thought.

I have photographed at a location made famous by Edward Weston, namely Weston Beach at Point Lobos in Carmel, from the time of my first camera to the present day. Over sixty years. So what?

Upon reflection, and to your point, it was a challenge. Not unlike attempting to make an original photograph in Yosemite with the shadow of Ansel Adams looming. It can be done, and a few members on this forum have succeeded. Congratulations to them.

Whether I succeeded at Point Lobos, I don't know. But the fact that Weston had photographed there was the catalyst for my being there. And, a few of the photographs from those many visits still give me pleasure. That is what really matters.

http://www.mergross.com/portfolio_9.html

Finding a place not treaded upon photographically will be difficult. I spent a few days in the Finger Lake area in NY, including staying a couple nights at a hostel near the mouth of Watkins Glen. I worked in there with the 5x7, knowing quite well it is a relatively small area that is heavily visited and photographed. Might be as photographed as Yosemite Valley...definitely if measured in photos/sq foot. If I ever get around to printing them, I think I might have something that I can call my own. Negs look sweet.

But then again, I suggest staying away from Redwood National and State Parks, I've already taken all the good shots.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Laughing out loud

1st time in a while

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Finding a place not treaded upon photographically will be difficult. I spent a few days in the Finger Lake area in NY, including staying a couple nights at a hostel near the mouth of Watkins Glen. I worked in there with the 5x7, knowing quite well it is a relatively small area that is heavily visited and photographed. Might be as photographed as Yosemite Valley...definitely if measured in photos/sq foot. If I ever get around to printing them, I think I might have something that I can call my own. Negs look sweet.

But then again, I suggest staying away from Redwood National and State Parks, I've already taken all the good shots.
    Tin Can

: )))

I've had the pleasure of seeing several of Vaughn's wonderful carbon transfer prints of the Redwoods. He is correct "nothing to photograph here folks just move along"

I am thinking of putting on a tour of my tripod holes...don't know why AA did not think of that...
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Since we will never get outside again...

I suggest VR imaging direct from your googles, using the exact tripod and holes, duplicating the moment in Star Time

Sell to the huddled masses

I am thinking of putting on a tour of my tripod holes...don't know why AA did not think of that...
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Scyg - I grew up right across the river from Yosemite, but have only taken about six photographs in Yosemite Valley itself my entire life. None of them look like something anyone else has taken. My favorite print of all time of El Capitan, perhaps the most photographed great rock in the world besides Half Dome further up the Valley, was an old 18X22 blue-sensitive neg albumen print by Muybridge. The sky is totally washed out, and the monolith, all by itself, nearly so in total glare - basically white upon white except for the resident albumen hue. But it has a sense of presence and sheer scale unexcelled to this day. I've seen a lot of AA's work up close, and there are particular shots taken from exactly the same parking lot used by millions of people over the years to photograph Yosemite Valley, and there is a particular AA 8X10 shot of El Capitan from that same spot which is almost never published or exhibited, taken in his mid-60's, which doesn't even resemble most of his own many earlier versions from the same perspective. It's almost entirely dark in a brooding thunderstorm, but one of my very favorite images of his. I have done a fair amount of LF photography in the high backcountry of Yosemite. The last time on a two week backpack, I didn't even encounter another person for an entire week of that time, or even see any evidence of human presence ever except for some random obsidian chips by aboriginal bighorn sheep hunters. AA in younger years made it up to the Lyell Fork of the Merced twice and made some famous images, which include what is now named Ansel Adams Peak in the background. And yes, I could identify the exact tripod locations, although certain swampy meadow conditions have changed somewhat. He had dramatic thunderstorm light. I had soft veiling silvery light due to a bit of forest fire haze in the air. The shots came out totally different but equally compelling, but would have had done so anyway because each of us sees things differently if we just allow ourselves to find our own path and don't worry what the last guy did.

It's a reflex... This painting comes to mind each and every time Yosemite & AA comes up:

Mark Tansey's painting.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yosemite Camera Falls 1993.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	204003

Bernice