Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Which State is the Best State for Landscape Photographers to Live?

Small town, South Carolina, US

Re: Which State is the Best State for Landscape Photographers to Live?

Maybe grand vistas are not so prevalent in some areas but just about anywhere has the potential for great landscape photography. It is up to the photographer
    to make the compelling image. Now as to cost of living, climate etc. That is a different story.

Tim Sandstrom

apologies, I was being obtuse, I was referring to an inner state of mind...
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    The actual Four Corners monument area, at the exact intersection of four states, is now pretty much surrounded by ugly oil and natural gas infrastructure....

New Mexico. I have spent my life photographing here and have just barely scratched the surface. And............if you can't find it here or are hankering for a diversion, we are so damn close to AZ, Utah and Colorado that a half days drive will get you to some of the most amazing places on the continent.

But please don't move here
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

LOL

I almost did!

and NM is still high on my list, if I live long enough to move again

perhaps an Estate sale BEFORE I croak and one last relocation of the 40 plus in my life...

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    New Mexico. I have spent my life photographing here and have just barely scratched the surface. And............if you can't find it here or are hankering for a diversion, we are so damn close to AZ, Utah and Colorado that a half days drive will get you to some of the most amazing places on the continent.

But please don't move here
    Tin Can

Ha. After visiting New Mexico (and meeting Mr. Gittings) back in '12, I thought that it would be an interesting place to live, but never thought it possible. Then in 2017 life (that is, my wife's career) brought me to southern AZ. Tucson is quite livable, and there are beautiful landscapes that I'm learning to see and photograph all around. But NM still calls to me... I'll just be a visitor though, Kirk!

Drew Wiley

rfesk - It is precisely the desirable climate and sheer diversity of microclimates that makes it so darn expensive to move here to the Calif. coast. If you don't mind miserable summer heat, there are plenty of affordable places to live in Calif. But I'd rather have dry heat than summer humidity, which can feel a lot hotter.
    Last edited by Drew Wiley; 18-May-2020 at 15:19.

I have lived in AZ, no thanks, too many people

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Ha. After visiting New Mexico (and meeting Mr. Gittings) back in '12, I thought that it would be an interesting place to live, but never thought it possible. Then in 2017 life (that is, my wife's career) brought me to southern AZ. Tucson is quite livable, and there are beautiful landscapes that I'm learning to see and photograph all around. But NM still calls to me... I'll just be a visitor though, Kirk!
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Try the Arizona strip to the north of the C. River. It's sparsely populated, and if you don't mind gingham prairie dresses, the women tend to outnumber the men twenty to one.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Try the Arizona strip to the north of the C. River. It's sparsely populated, and if you don't mind gingham prairie dresses, the women tend to outnumber the men twenty to one.
    Things up there might have improved a little...but not a place for outsiders to move to.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

The most infamous colony has mostly relocated. One of our shipping/receiving clerks wanted a job in animal rescue, then met a likeminded gal who happened to live just outside Kanab. So he announced he was moving there; and I asked him how many women he was marrying. He gave me a blank stare. He had actually visited the animal farm, but didn't know that right at the end of that same road was one of the oldest and biggest colonies anywhere. Fortunately she was not part of that particular scene; but he had to learn how to talk very carefully in that neighborhood. A strong cockney Brit accent didn't help.