Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Which State is the Best State for Landscape Photographers to Live?

Re: Which State is the Best State for Landscape Photographers to Live?

The best US state for landscape photography is the place that you like. I'll suggest that all 50 have much to offer if you keep your eyes open- even though there are some few I've never visited. David Plowden loves the midwest and has done great work there. Of course California has been a mecca since the days of Muybridge and Watkins. Paul Strand and Paul Caponigro (among many others) did great work in New England. I've spent most of my life in the beautiful, if unspectacular, landscape of western New York State- and realized after I'd moved away that I'd barely scratched the surface. The late John Pfahl did a wonderful series on the Susquehanna river valley in Pennsylvania. There are countless other examples...Corran's comments are spot-on. There's a lifetime of work in front of you wherever you are, if you can see it. So go where the landscape inspires you, regardless of national parks, tax rates, camera clubs, or anything else. You'll find a way!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    My gosh, are we ever daydreaming now that we can't really fly anywhere! I must confess my own addiction to topo maps as a form of escapism, and printing old negs of wonderful places in the West I've been. But I can't complain. I had a great hike with my Norma yesterday, with wonderful natural softbox lighting over the velvety hills, with all the grasses transitioning as they dry out into luscious flavors of gold, green, and rust. No worries. Our vicious mountain lions and giant centipedes only eat people from out of state.
    I'm okay with becoming food for mountain lions, giant centipedes, or even realtors - all part of the ecological cycle. But it's the poison oak I can't stand!

I think it is tie between western South Dakota and Idaho. They both have unique and beautiful landscapes to offer without:

Crazy oppressive taxes and laws.
    Huge populations of annoying people.
    Expensive land.
    Traffic.

The biggest advantage of these states is the character of their population. You want to live with good people. Also weather, variety is inspiring before your eyes and lens.

One caveat for Californians. Please do not consider these places because the locals will not accept you. Those who flee that state seem to want to turn their new state into California, or get home sick and return.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ...Dilettante! Who you calling a Dilettante?

I’m with two23 on this one, and would include Idaho. This is the area I grew up in and lived in my early life so yes in this case it’s US-centric. I’ve seen lots of cool photos from around the world, just not been there. We did take a trip to Israel 6 years ago and I think landscapes could be made there as well. I would see it as a challenge to work in an environment far removed from the inter mountain region in the US.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

New Mexico. Just over 2 million mostly hospitable people with 5 great cultures. So lots of lonely spaces. Many Hernandezes if you look closely. And--the light! Strong and mysterious.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

For me it would be any state in the southwest. I'm in Texas which is a good place to live and has many different venues for landscape. Mountains to oceans, desert to green forest and swamp areas and has one of the largest bird population. It's also a great jumping off point to travel to NM, Utah, & Colorado.

The State of Mind
    Tin Can

Ontario the last state to join has amazing lakes and rugged features.

Disneyland?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Les

The short answer is it's all about taste. Pretty much like cameras....looking for ideal. Some people don't mind dealing with tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, extreme heat/cold, massive humidity and probably 100 other negatives. Some turn these into quite interesting photos.

Not a good idea to come to Washington (not DC), unless you are into "walls" (not political). I mean sink holes, rain...and more rain, pot holes (bigger than NJ Turnpike)....yes, for some this becomes a wall. Did I mention rain ?

Les