Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Which State is the Best State for Landscape Photographers to Live?

Dann Corbit

Re: Which State is the Best State for Landscape Photographers to Live?

What happens if we put me in Zion park or Glacier national park with 19k worth of equipment and Ansel Adams with a pinhole box camera in a Scranton NJ parking lot? Who gets the better picture?
    So I guess the locale is important, but the most important thing is the person behind the camera.

And this planet we live on is stunningly beautiful. A long time ago, I was driving to Mt. Rainier national park with a station wagon full of young men of various ages. My youngest son (about 5 years old at the time) saw Mt. Rainier looming in the car window and said, "Look, somebody painted a picture in the sky!"

I remember when I was his age and we were driving up Whitebird hill in central Idaho. There was this ominous sky with absurd sunbeams blasting through gaps in the clounds and a giant flock of antelope running in unison on a hill nearby. I had a similar thought in my head, but mine was, "It's so beautiful it looks faked. Nothing can be that beautiful... Can it?"
    About 58 years ago but I still remember it like it was today. Too bad I was five and didn't have a nice camera.

Les

Dann, one can find great visuals in NJ. I wouldn't start with Scranton, tho. Many of the Atlantic beaches are fabulous off season and the combo of light, the dunes, flora, etc. can rival many other places. OK, not going to compare with Yos, but it can hold its own.

The trick is to get away from the Parkway....it tries to emulate some type of "forest", and most of us are totally aware that 1/4 of a mile away it's nothing but cement....on both sides. One can see it flying out of Newark.

Les

Dann, from 1969 to 1980 when exploring USA I didn't carry a camera, as I considered even my Pentax H1 excess baggage

I took memory pictures in my head as I have done since a child

I stand still, concentrating on the view and remember it

especially places I would never see again

I have returned to live in one memory for my duration

one clear picture is the train station signage for seperate bathrooms

the sign was gone the next year, yet I see it clearly
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Dann Corbit View Post
    What happens if we put me in Zion park or Glacier national park with 19k worth of equipment and Ansel Adams with a pinhole box camera in a Scranton NJ parking lot? Who gets the better picture?
    So I guess the locale is important, but the most important thing is the person behind the camera...
    My primary interest is light as it defines a place. This can be anywhere. I just prefer to hang out at places I want to be...it might be downtown Blue Lake, or the redwoods, or Death Valley, or even the top of Fort Point in San Francisco on a rare occasion...

Light is the bridge between the Place and the Viewer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Samoa Bridge.jpg   Girders_Golden_Gate_Bridge.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

I like variety. I grew up right beside three National Parks and what are now half a dozen official Wilderness Areas, and all my life have enjoyed photographing in such places, though not necessarily stereotypical postcard images! But I've gotten every bit as good prints and even entire portfolios of things a five minute walk right up the street from where I now live. I'd even love to take a long drive someday to see the grasslands of Nebraska and so forth, and have no doubt I'd be able to bag excellent images there too. Like a black bear, I'm opportunistic - whatever tastes good, whether a wilderness blueberry patch or raiding someone's neglected picnic box.

Quote Originally Posted by Dann Corbit View Post

Here is a challenge:
    Can someone post a breathtaking landscape from New Jersey =? ;-)
    I don't know about breathtaking. But most of these are near where I live in New Jersey. And they're mine.
    https://www.flickr.com/search/?sort=...N05&view_all=1

Alan, are you familiar with "The Tracker: The True Story of Tom Brown Jr"? I read his books decades ago. He found a lot of WILD in the Barrens.

At one time I was going to take his survival course

not now, I have enough just surviving right here and now

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I don't know about breathtaking. But most of these are near where I live in New Jersey. And they're mine.
    https://www.flickr.com/search/?sort=...N05&view_all=1
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Alan, are you familiar with "The Tracker: The True Story of Tom Brown Jr"? I read his books decades ago. He found a lot of WILD in the Barrens.

At one time I was going to take his survival course

not now, I have enough just surviving right here and now
    No not familiar with it. I'll have to look into it. Thanks.