Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Which State is the Best State for Landscape Photographers to Live?

Re: Which State is the Best State for Landscape Photographers to Live?

I have to volunteer 'Victoria' in Australia. In a relatively small (for Australia) state, we have alpine areas & wild high country, arid desert, temperate rainforest (with some of the tallest trees in the world), glorious winding coastline, and wonderful dry eucalyptus forests. Also all the 19th century goldrush architecture in Melbourne and the regional cities. It's a smashing place to grow up in and photograph...

(also, this I just noticed is my 200th post since 2006 - apologies for flooding the forums!!!)

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Drew Wiley

When me and my friend were finally stumbling out of the northern Wind River range after two weeks last summer, having seen nobody else for an entire week of that time, we encountered a couple from Tennessee only a couple miles in from the trailhead. They had hauled their own horses and trailer all the way from Tennessee just to find out if they would be suitable for a north to south ride all the way down the main trail the following year. Their fuel bill must have been horrendous; but they didn't look like poor types. Another fellow near the start of the trail had a cannon of a .454 Casull strapped to his hip in order to defend his wife from any grizzly that came around. But it had a telescopic sight on it, so I don't see how he could aim it fast enough at a close charging bear. Nearly all the grizz are on the opposite side of the divide further north; and I was more wary of moose anyway. One had walked through our camp the night before, and on a prior trip had knocked over my 4x5. It was not being belligerent, but just taking its ordinary path through the willows that I had ignorantly set up my camera in the middle of. Nothing was damaged, and the moose and her calf otherwise ignored us. I've only seen one bear there, and from a considerable distance, and it was a black bear. The truly vicious critters are the huge horse flies that are around in the higher meadows until the first big Sept freeze. Skeeters and gnats are bad until around August. I carried my little Ebony 4x5 folder, but had a Fuji 6x9 rangefinder in the car for quickie road shots etc. There are always lots interesting places to see and camp between here and Wyoming. The Wind River range is one of my favorite alternatives to the high Sierra when we're having bad forest fires and smoke issues out here.

Quote Originally Posted by munz6869 View Post
    I have to volunteer 'Victoria' in Australia....Marc!
    A regular magpie you are! Have not been to Victoria...maybe someday, but I have a long list...and Oz might just be too much and too far to tackle this late in life (other than sight-seeing and a few images here and there). Taz is nearby, and that has been on that list, too. I have some experience in NSW and the NT to build on, but I'll be sticking close to home now.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I'll play. My home of California will never be what it once was and probably never was what it was once purported to be. My people got here in 1847 and full of good sense, stuffed their pockets full of gold and promptly left. Less sensible generations followed and for some inexplicable reason stayed.

That said, one must consider the city state of Singapore. It is much bigger than it appears on any map. In a compact space you find architecture from many cultures spanning the periods from colonial to the post modern. Industrial, harbor, military sites all to be found. Street photography everywhere you turn. There are surprisingly expansive seascapes and amazing lush tropical forests full of the most amazing range of plants and mind blowing orchids that grow like weeds. Best that it is never far to drag a camera. Offshore there is easy access to an exhaustive menu of under exploited photographic wonders. It is easy for me, as someone who has lived in and traveled all over China, to make the argument that Singapore offers the finest Chinese food to be found anywhere on the planet. I'm talking feel like you've died and gone to heaven epic meals. And tropical fruit so full of flavor that you won't be able to eat imported pineapple or bananas for years after visiting. Durian anyone? No bears but rumor has it that there are still tigers, lurking. Did I mention the orchids?

Drew Wiley

Er... I have a number of friends in Singapore who come here frequently, but think I'll stick closer to wide open spaces. Not all of us do well in captivity, even if the enclosure is well manicured. I'm not making reference to anything political, but just to what makes my own eyes relax and what doesn't. That gold country your ancestors left is where I grew up, right around when it had only 2% of its former Gold Rush population numbers, and how I prefer to remember it. Nobody else for miles and miles.

Word is the area was quite nice before gold fever broke out, and then all hell broke loose. It took many decades for the land to begin to recover from such intensive human exploitation. These days I suppose it would again be nice country if it weren't currently over run with killer bees and with murder hornets on their way from the north and assassin hornets from the south, the sensible should stay well away.

I should agree with Drew. The sad fact is that anyone from Singapore or even China must seriously hold their nose to eat what sadly passes for Chinese food in California. Don't go to Singapore because it will ruin the experience of eating anywhere else. People who enjoy eating fresh fruit will forever be disappointed trying to palate stuff that tastes like sawdust after a visit there. Photographers who enjoy hauling cameras great distances will not appreciate having everything they could desire to shoot in a compact, convenient place. Certainly, people who enjoy unruly, filthy cities piled high with human waste and worse would never like a place that is well managed and civilized and sanitary. Divers who love brackish water will hate having near unlimited visibility to see an explosion of colors surrounding them. People who demand wide open places will certainly hate dense uncharted tropical forests complete with uncontacted peoples and teeming with flora and fauna unknown to science. Word has it that said forests, mere minutes from the city, have no shortage of tigers and komodo dragons and headhunters and of course anthropophagous "wild orange men". In other words, Singapore is clearly a terrible place which should be avoided at all costs.

South of France. Alps, Cote d'Azur, Languedoc-Roussillon, Catalunya, Cévennes, Atlantic Ocean / Biarritz ... Wine, wine, wine and wine, good food, fresh fish, saucisson d'âne, very relaxed people, a lot of culture and sightseeing (Cathars, Albigensian) ... Short distances, a lot of variation, public transport, starting points of ancient pilgrim routes to Santiago de Compostela in Spain ... Very low crime rates, very few people with guns, fearful bears and wolves in the Pyrenees, clean and comfortable camping sites ... And wine, wine, and wine ...

Drew Wiley

Funny thing about cuisine. Even an old package of freeze-dried food and some gnawy beef jerky tastes great when you're up above timberline with nobody else in sight. Singapore does sound like a nice area to visit. I'll try to spot it across the ocean next time I'm 13,000 ft up relaxing at the edge of a glacial cirque. Would love to see the Pyrenees too someday. But all this is just cabin fever talk. The high Sierra is a place I can realistically explore without boarding a plane or wearing a face mask, or frankly, spending much money. I probably couldn't even afford to eat in Singapore restaurants.

Photograph in your own backyard -- just have a very big back yard...
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

I did have (past tense) a very big backyard indeed, being adjacent to huge uninhabited sections of the San Joaquin River canyon, looking off toward the Ritter Range and Minarets on the skyline - second deepest canyon on the continent, with only the Middle Fork of the Kings River slightly to the south being deeper. Now I have to walk about 10 min to get to about 7000 acres of open space. But more likely tomorrow I'll drive just a few miles to where over 20,000 acres of open rangeland have now been linked contiguously together. Some of it requires a special permit to access; but those are easy to get. The forecast is cooler tomorrow inland. But today's printing session will all be high country negs, which will make me even more homesick for the Sierra.