Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Which State is the Best State for Landscape Photographers to Live?

Re: Which State is the Best State for Landscape Photographers to Live?

IDK, but if I was young again I might choose the state with least density

Population density in the U.S. by federal states including the District of Columbia in 2019
    Tin Can

Thank you, Tin Can, for providing proof of something I've long surmised, that there are a lot of dense people in the District of Columbia!

I'd like to see the mosquito density numbers, before I choose based on population density.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

How about the state of Euphoria?

There are places with both high population density and high mosquito density. DC was considered tropical pay by the British before AC.

Drew Wiley

We have it all in California. Want mosquitoes? July in the high country. Want wonderful Godfather-movie quality amber light? Got it right now (sneeze, cough)!

Quote Originally Posted by jmdavis View Post
    There are places with both high population density and high mosquito density. DC was considered tropical pay by the British before AC.
    And I do not desire to live in Alaska, either...tho preferable to me over 40 or more other states. I'll stick with California. Humboldt County has a population density of 35 people/sq mile -- and 60% of the population lives around Humboldt Bay. It is surrounded by counties with population densities of 25 (to the south), 27 (to the east) and 27 (to the north)...and zero to the west. Which puts us more in the Nevada, Nebraska and Kansas state pop density ranges, but with an ocean.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

Yeah, people have weird stereotypes of CA, as if all of it was like Los Angeles. Well, LA is pretty darn big. But CA has counties as big as some states with very low population density. As a kid, the local high school district was as big as six New England states combined, and had less than 400 students. That's changed to some degree in recent decades; but 80% of the former official district is still uninhabited. The terrain dictates that. And even right here in the SF Bay area, where I now live, we have more open space and official park land than any other major urban area in the nation. A near miss today - still a bit too much smoke to go out - but in another day or two good air is predicted again, and outdoor solitude will be easy to find, along with plenty of wildlife.

Huh, I was surprised at how high GA actually is. But my county is nearly half the statewide number.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

One needs to treat the figures with care. For example Hawaii with a density of 220. Population of 1.5 million. Plus an additional quarter of a million visitors on the islands at any one time...and generally all hanging out in the nicest places to be.

The County of Los Angeles gets 50 million tourists a year. It was a good place to grow up (from my white middle class perspective) and a great place to leave (at 18yrs of age). I have found a few physical activities finer than body-surfing...especially growing up in the waves. Almost worth the smog. Up here, snorkeling with steelhead in the rivers is pretty cool (especially the two summers I got paid for it) and it took the place of body surfing way up here where the ocean water is too dang cold all year. One makes due.