Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Which State is the Best State for Landscape Photographers to Live?

Re: Which State is the Best State for Landscape Photographers to Live?

Have you considered Wyoming?

The cost of living seems to be below average. Lots and lots of natural sites for landscape photography. National parks: Yellowstone and Grand Teton can't leave you indifferent. Also, several national monuments like Devils Tower and Fossil Butte. You can check the NPS page of Wyoming for more details: https://www.nps.gov/state/wy/index.htm
    Moreover, you can easily access the neighboring states with fascinating nature—Colorado, Montana, and Utah—all with so many places worth your lense!

Drew Wiley

Do you actually live there, and in the winter too?

I visit eastern Washington State often enough...in all seasons, too, and I certainly do not mind the winters because I generally get to my sister's and stay put. But crossing the lava and flood topography as you cross the state from Spokane can be very interesting -- or head south through the Palouse, etc. I started to visit Spokane just as they were getting ready for the World's Fair (1974). A town built by the mining of silver and other metals. A great river runs through it with sets of falls with the old World's Fair grounds now a park. My old photography teacher/mentor was sent to Spokane to train as a bombardier during WWII. My boys were born in Spokane. Pretty place...glad I live in Humboldt County.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    glad I live in Humboldt County.
    You know, Drew keeps trying to convince me about how wild Californy is, but between Wynn Bullock and the latest 5x7 you posted over on Phototrio, I'm starting to believe that all the entrances to your state parks are choked with lithe young women in various states of dishabille milling about in the parking lot like Guatemalan landscapers outside Home Depot.

It's terrible! Try to take a landscape images and one has to clear naked people out of your image area! While not naked, the kids are even worse...they are all over the place -- don't know if there is any connection between them and the naked people.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WSBoysPC.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

don't know if there is any connection between them and the naked people.
    Well, once at least. At any rate, I was looking forward to seeing some of Bullock's work at the CCP this summer--I definitely think you West Coast guys in particular have to be seen in person.

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    Well, once at least. At any rate, I was looking forward to seeing some of Bullock's work at the CCP this summer--I definitely think you West Coast guys in particular have to be seen in person.
    This could be called a scouting shot I took about a week ago -- I would like to set the 11x14 up here at the end of the fallen redwood I am standing on for a 5x14 image (B&W) -- definitely reminds me of one of Bullock's well know images! The lens is about 20 feet above the forest floor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Red_Trails2.jpg  

The lens is about 20 feet above the forest floor.
    Excellent, hope you're wearing your caulks!

Drew Wiley

You flatlanders simply don't get it. Wynn Bullock imported his models. The actual hominids who live in the redwood forests are all covered with matted fur for sake of camouflage and weather-resistance, and wouldn't look photogenic even shaved. One of them might be willing to sit down with you and discuss things, but only if you're willing to share a lunch of fresh banana slug sushi-style, uncooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    ... The actual hominids who live in the redwood forests are all covered with matted fur for sake of camouflage and weather-resistance, and wouldn't look photogenic even shaved...
    Sir, how dare you! I resemble that remark!